I just dropped my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macmanners, Dec 30, 2007.

1. macmanners macrumors newbie

It was bound to happen. I just dropped my 3 month old MacBook Pro. :(
    No one to blame but me. After carefully checking everything I noticed the following problems:

• The left corner of the lid has a dent. Don't really care too much about it because it doesn't impair its functioning.
    • More importantly: the lid is not closing anymore. The screen is intact, but the lid doesn't fully close down. I was able to close it in a couple of occasions, but it's usually not closing down.

Everthing is working fine, except for the lid not closing down on the base. My question is, how much will it cost me to replace the lid (or the case if needed) through Apple?

Thank-you.
    Igor

PS: The laptop was connected to the headset and the cord got caught under my chair. As I moved without noticing it, the laptop literally flew and fell on the floor. Ironically if there wasn't a magsafe adapter, the laptop would still be intact. But again, no one to blame but myself. :rolleyes:

2. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Where are you located, this will help to help you. Also do you want to replace your self with the parts, or have some one else do it for you.

3. macmanners thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm in Toronto. If the replacement done by Apple is not too expensive, I'd prefer it that way, else I can repair it myself with parts (if much cheaper).

What would help me a lot is a ballpark figure for both instances.

4. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Could you clarify this last point? I thought the magsafe adapter solved all such problems and I'd like to warn my wife (owns a MacBook) if this is not so.

Sorry to hear about your MBP--I hope you can fix it quickly, easily and inexpensively!

5. ZenErik macrumors 6502

I never dropped my old Compaq or my new MacBook, but the Magsafe adapter is definitely a welcome addition. Instead of destroying my cord when I accidently step on it, it simply unplugs and falls to the ground.

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

The magsafe is an annoying adapter; I honestly wish there were a way to power the MB with a traditional plug. The notsosafe disconnects so easily, it's a pain to keep putting it back in when moving the computer.

7. ZenErik macrumors 6502

When I am moving a good distance, I simply hold a part of the cord along with the laptop. It's rocket science. :p

8. Jian001 Guest

I can empathize.. while carrying my Macbook Pro to slip into my bag, I knocked it against the side of the wall. The damage is not as bad compared to what yours went through but it's flawed it now. :(

9. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Kash,

I think that in his (the OP) case the powercord didn't get stuck under the chair, but his headset cord (through the audio port) got tangled and when he moved it pull the computer down. He's saying if it WASN'T a magsafe, a traditional powercord would not have unplugged from the computer, thus tugging and keep the computer from flying off the desk so abrubtly when he pulled it with the audio cable.

If that makes sense. Basically the magsafe disconnected allowing him to pull the computer via the headset cord.

Otherwise, my magsafe has been a welcome addition the 2 times I have tripped or my dog has gotten tangled in the cord when it was on the floor. They work well for their intended purpose.

My connections have been prety good and don't tend to disconnect with normal moving of my computer, but some are looser connections.

To the OP:

Bring it in or give them a call and get a quote through apple. If you bought your computer with a credit card or bank card, check their policy. A lot of credit cards will double the original warranty with the computer and/or cover accidental damage too as part of the card policy up to a certain amount.. say 1000 dollars or so, so definitely check with them before you pay for anything to be done.

Chances are doing it yourself will be much much cheaper if you can get the parts off of ebay. I think top cases (no LCD) can be had for 200 ish.... so if oyu can do it yourself, you may want togo that route, but call and get a quote first and DEF check with your homeowners insurance or anyting liek that with credit cards if that applies before doing anything.

10. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Thanks for the clarification!

11. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

Would be great if all ports on the mbp were mag safe.. even the headphone port.

Then you wouldn't be able to pull it off of the desk by accident.

12. Matiek macrumors member

Just get bluetooth head phones :) there is a wireless solution for just about anything the magsafe doesn't already take care of. Transfer rates are slower on hard drives but aside from that it's not a big deal/

13. M!K macrumors regular

M!K

Mine on my MacBook Pro is actually hard to take off. lol
    I personally think the MagSafe is pretty useful. Without that, my MBP would be totally broken by now. I'd have dropped so many times. Thanks :apple:

14. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

omgggggg poor MBP, i'm sorry to hear you dropped your computer :(. anyway you should try contacting Apple to request for an evaluation/quote, if the offer is too high then you should look at www.ifixit.com or similar.

happy new year :)