I just found the first W5590 Nehalems for sale

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gugucom, Jul 31, 2009.

1. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

3. gugucom thread starter macrumors 68020

gugucom

Yes, I noticed. I usually do not get very excited about single socket systems and the W3580 has been mentioned in all roadmaps. The W5590 though seems to have been kept pretty secret to enter the market without any prior reviews.

Considering that it will set another world record benchmark for Mac Pro computing I see it as an interesting addition.

I wonder if :apple: could be set for a silent speed bump cum price drop for the Nehalem Mac Pros. Sales must be hurting from the over pricing and they did drop prices on the MBPs.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

I just figured those with Quads might be interested, and posted about another available part. ;)

It would be nice :D, but somehow I don't think this will happen. They've had plenty of opportunity to do something about the available clock speeds and pricing already, but have elected not to. What's worse, is other vendors have taken similar strategies (higher prices than last year that exceed the parts cost increases), so there's less motivation for Apple to make any changes IMO. :(

So I see these parts mostly as a user installed upgrade, such as what Tutor did. :rolleyes: ;)

5. gugucom thread starter macrumors 68020

gugucom

I know it is pure speculation, but I got the impression, that the MP sales plumeted and many users deserted MP for iMac and Mac mini.

6. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I very much doubt that's at all true. I do, however, think that the majority of buyers owned first gen Mac Pros or G5s. What reasoning leads you to that speculation?

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Actually, I'm not so sure here, as both of those machines (lines) aren't capable of running certain usages. Namely graphics intensive software, and RAID if needed. That's the professional market, and the MP is the only Mac that fits (no other choice).

That's not to say it's sales haven't changed though, as the economy has quite a few concerned (individuals and businesses), and less willing to part with cash. Even credit, as it's now harder to get as well. So major purchases have dropped in many industries, including computers.

8. gugucom thread starter macrumors 68020

gugucom

Apple average desktop price declined although the price for Mac Pros went up. The iMacs are smack on average price so they would not influence the shift. Ergo more cheaper mac and less Mac Pros must have been sold to drop the average price.

9. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It depends how you look at it. The cheapest price for an in store purchase of a Mac Pro decreased $300. A quad core Mac Pro with 8GB of memory now costs $2,749 from Apple, where before it was $3,799. Some people did pay it. The average was also up over the previous 3 months. The differences in the average prices over 3 month periods are minimal when you consider that it covers so many different products and configurations. Not to mention the fact people are probably more restrained or willing to shop around for upgrades as they are reminded about the economy on a daily basis.

We've never known how many Mac Pros they sell to really be able to know if the prices are making a difference to their bottom line.

10. gugucom thread starter macrumors 68020

gugucom

You must have got something wrong. I was talking about year on year comparison between the same quarters in 2008 and 2009. For both the march and june quarters the average sales price of desktops and the total sales went down double digits compared to the previous year. Numbers were relatively stable or small single digit losses. It can only be caused by people buying more cheap Macs and less Mac Pros. There is no way you can swing the product mix any other way.

Check your numbers on both quads and octads. All models went up in price 2009. There are numerous citations in the overpricing thread.

In the end it doens't really matter because nobody knows what will happen. And it isn't so important either. I just thought that those new chips are nice upgrade options if you can get them at decent prices later.

11. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I really would like to do this!

After adding the largest amount of RAM to support tri-channel and 4 7200 RPM HDDs in RAID 10, I'd have the fastest, most powerful Mac Pro that I know of. :cool::cool:

If anyone cares, I'd be making some movies, doing stuff in Motion, and maybe some CS4 stuff.

The only problem is, I don't have a job, and this is rather expensive.

12. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It can be caused by less Xserves, less high end iMacs, less high end minis, less high end Mac Pros, less people buying memory and storage upgrades through Apple, loss of the Quadro FX 5600 option, how they calculate displays purchased with mini's and pros.

The "default" Mac Pro configurations sold in stores previously were a 2.8GHz octo with 2GB of memory and the 2600XT for $2,799 and the 3.2GHz octo with 2GB of memory, 8800GT and I think with 2 super drives for just under $5,000.

I believe now the in store models are the 2.66GHz quad for $2,499 and the 2.26Ghz octo for $3,299. Yes overall prices went up, but the average price of Mac Pros bought instore could have come down quite a bit. I wouldn't be suprised if a good portion of Mac Pros are purchased that way. I hope you can see what I'm referring too.

They are, but it wouldn't be a thread on Mac Rumours if it didnt go offtopic. :apple:.

13. gugucom thread starter macrumors 68020

gugucom

I don't say that your theory is impossible. It is just not plausible. The facts all speak against it. The average desktop price went down as we know from the quarterly reports. The average Mac Pro price went up as we know from the price list. Those are facts. Now how probable is it that internal Mac Pro option mix would compensate the logical market behavior? When people spend less for a type of product they buy less of those products that get more expensive.

I give you a deal. You stick to your opinion and I keep mine. Actually I don't believe that :apple: will touch prices. I just thought the new chips were an opportunity to apply a move that they have made in the laptop market. But it is more wishfull thinking than likely marketing strategy from :apple: .
    I rather think that :apple: are on a cash out strategy with towers which will see them push the product into a niche that will progressively narrow until it finally dies.

14. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Wasn't there an issue that the stock processors haven't got heatspreaders, which makes upgrading impossible?

15. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

It isn't impossible, just a bit more difficult. You have to be very careful putting the heat sinks back on.

16. gugucom thread starter macrumors 68020

gugucom

Yes, Anand did screw up his daughter board the first time and posted the issue with the heat spreaders. But Tutor apparently had no problem with the 130 W TDP chips. I was surprised by that and it bodes well for even Gulftown 6-cores on that logic board.

Btw, tonight we had an Ebay auction of two W5580 in Germany which went for 1366€. I was prepared to go up to 1000€ but it went beyond that. Last week I saw a single W5580 for 700$ in the US. If I were a US resident I had probably made a bet on that. To bring stuff into the EU you have to add 25%.

17. JmeltzFX macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any idea where to find good deals on high end processors? I'm looking to purchase two of these 4 core beasts. However, the lowest prices I've found thus far, from Newegg, are still in excess of $1600 a piece! Thanks for any and all help.