I just gave Dell my money

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by morrisman1, Feb 2, 2009.

1. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

hi all, i was in the market for a nice monitor so i settled on a dell 2408WFP. i thought i didnt want to seperate with $1600 to apple for a 24" monitor which had all of two connections, the mini-display port, card reader, s-video and the usb port. It was cheaper for me to go dell and i got HDMI, displayport, 2x dvi, vga, composite, component and a powered usb hub. Oh and a matte finish screen which can swivel. the panel is a VA panel which is close to s-ips quality.

sorry apple but your product just didnt cut the mustard, it's not professional anymore apart from the s-ips panel. LED is nice for sure, its a huge improvement on my old macbook but with a desktop screen you can have gruntier backlights anway.

i can attach a dvd player and all sorts of things, i can buy a tv tuner for the macbook and i have a good HDTV aswell

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

LED is actually quite nice for some uses, but only if the panel which is attached to it is of a consistent quality - which I'm not convinced is the case for Apple, after a few too many replacements.

Still, you pays your money and makes your choices - like your choice of Apple computing in the first place, you might say.

3. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

There are plenty of us who have given Dell our money for their displays... They definitely deliver a lot more "bang for your buck" than the Apple offerings. Although, man do I like that new 24" display...

4. ajthomason macrumors 6502

I've got two 2408WFPs and don't regret buying them. They were cheaper that Apple's alternative and have such a wide range of inputs I can plug my PS3 into them, old laptop with VGA, iPod with Component etc. etc.

The card reader on the side is also great!

5. morrisman1 thread starter macrumors 6502

i might have to find a calibrator. the reviews show that they need calibrated to be colour accurate. they are real good when they are but not so hot out of the box. i guess it doesnt really matter for normal use though

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Out of the box the colours can be 'cartoony'. It's not too hard to set them up acceptably by eye, the key being to start not with the brightness/contrast but with the colour controls themselves. If you are doing anywhere near important colour work though - yes, you need a calibrator.