I Just Gave Up My Umlimited Data Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eso, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Knowing that I don't use that much data in the first place, I reviewed my data usage history and saw that I haven't used more than 100 MB in any of the past six months. I switched to the 200 MB plan and now I'll be saving $15 per month.

I have been debating if giving up unlimited data is worth the savings and decided that I don't see my usage patterns changing very soon. I have WiFi at home and on campus; at work I have no time to use my phone anyways. I don't stream media on the go, but I am confident that if I do in the future I can easily upgrade to the 2 GB plan and still save $5 per month.

For me, it's the best option. I am not too worried about my data usage changing significantly, plus I'm sure things will change as 4G becomes ubiquitous.

2. Jizzles macrumors regular

If the savings are great I don't see a reason not to change plans. My reasonings for keeping unlimited is use mywi to tether my iPad. Plug the phone in while at school or in a hotel room and Im able to provide wifi.

3. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

I gave mine up on June 7th. I'm a college kid, and $60 a year is totally worth it for me! Plus, I never go over a gig of data, unfortunately I use more than 200MB... I need something in the middle...

4. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

It is a very viable option. I'm changing my mother-in-law's to the 200 mb package to save her some cash. Great option for many people.

5. fuz10n macrumors member

fuz10n

i did the same. That $15 adds up, especially if you don't even use what you are paying it for.

6. DaftDrunk macrumors regular

Through the desert on a horse with no name
    I thought I used a lot of bandwidth a month but when I checked my usage, it never went over 180 megabytes a month! I'll gladly save 15 bucks a month.

7. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I don't blame you. If I could have comfortably switched to $15, I would have, but with all the new stuff coming, like video chat and Netflix, I'm keeping my unlimited.

There are a few months where I was well over 200 mb, and saving $5 isn't worth the huge difference between 2 gigs and unlimited.

8. SubSolar macrumors newbie

Things will be different when you start uploading 720p videos with the iPhone 4.

9. outphase macrumors 65816

If these people were heavy wifi users before, I don't see them changing that behavior.

10. DaftDrunk macrumors regular

Through the desert on a horse with no name
    I'd never upload a video through 3G in the first place, unless it was a flying saucer or something.

11. hancock macrumors member

I'm going to wait a month or two to see what my data consumption is with the new phone before I pull the trigger and relinquish unlimited. With hd video and such my 400mb a month currently might go way up, we shall see...:confused:

12. Surely Guest

Surely

Downgrading to the $15 plan will buy you a 32GB iPhone 4 on the two year contract ($15 savings x 24 months = $360 over the contract life).

I'm going to wait and see what my usage is like for the first couple of months before i decide.....