I just got a mac pro quad core from a friend some serious issues...!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by pll1988, Sep 6, 2010.

1. pll1988 macrumors newbie

When i booted up the mac pro it turned on the hard drive booted but when i looked at the monitor it was blank. I didnt get any of the components because it was just the computer. It had a monitor jack so i could plug in a regular pc monitor. it seems to be in good condition and i dont want to make a trip to the mac store with this gigantic piece i was wondering if anyone had an idea of what this issue might be or whats causing it to not show on the screen?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. pll1988 thread starter macrumors newbie

its blank its not even black the monitor wont boot up with the computer. It says no signal so obviously its not getting a signal but its not a mac monitor its just a regular flat screen acer monitor i havent looked up any blue prints yet to see whats missing if there is anything missing.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

And you're sure it's connected? If it were the gpu it'd be something other than "off". A MacPro doesn't need an Apple display. It needs a DVI connection afaik.

5. pll1988 thread starter macrumors newbie

nvm its not a quad core its a poweer mac g5 i stand corrected

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Ok but the idea is still the same. Sure it's plugged in? Have you tried another display?

7. pll1988 thread starter macrumors newbie

i tried a television with the input and three monitors and i cant get the connection i'm really stumped into whats going on if the computer turns on and boots up shouldnt i get something. i'm not a mac guy i know alot about pc but this has me stumped

8. pll1988 thread starter macrumors newbie

and another question i had is can i use pc components like a mouse and keyboard or do i need the mac equipment?

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah I dunno then. But you can use PC keyboard and such on a Mac providing the connections are suitable.

10. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Any USB mouse or USB keyboard should work.

11. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

What model of Mac Pro is it? Did your friend give your the original Install disks that came with the computer?

As others have pointed out, any USB Keyboard and mouse should work, and any display should work too given it's connected correctly.

Here a couple of things I'd do before making the trip to the Apple Store...

1) check all components are properly seated - both internal and external - RAM modules, GPU, HD, keyboard, mouse, display.
    2) Try booting from the Install Disk on the optical drive
    3) If it does boot from the 1st Install Disk, try reinstalling OS X - perhaps your friend deleted his stuff from the computer and deleted some system files by mistake
    4) If it doesn't, try running the Apple Hardware test (also from your install disks).

Hope this helps,

12. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Total shot in the dark, but does your monitor happen to have multiple inputs, and it's by chance set to the wrong one? Because mine has both VGA and DVI, and if I don't have it on the right one, I get no signal.

13. ToastyX macrumors regular

Try resetting the PRAM. Power on the computer, then immediately press and hold Command-Option-P-R (Windows-Alt-P-R on a PC keyboard) until the second startup chime. (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379)

You should at least see the startup screen (gray screen with apple logo). If that doesn't work, the video card might be defective. Try opening it up and reseating the video card just in case it popped out a little.

14. chych macrumors member

Video card could be broken... you'd have to use a mac video card for a G5 to debug that though.

You could plug the G5's ethernet into a router and see if the G5 boots and gets a DHCP lease from the router's web interface (this will tell you if the G5 is working and it's a video issue, but if you don't see anything, it is inconclusive).