Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonathantuba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2017
UK
You may think I am mad, but I have just gone out and got a new iPad Pro 10.5” 512Gb before new ones with Face ID come out to supplement my existing 12.9” which I absolutely love, but is really too big in some situations.

Why did I buy now? On giving the matter much thought I cannot see any benefit for me in my iPad having small bezels - in fact that would in some ways be counterproductive in no area to hold without fingers over the screen. I can see the benefit on the iPhone to make the screen as big as possible on small device, but not so on the iPad.

For Face ID, I am not too keen on the swipe up from the bottom and on larger iPad screen that will be worst. It really is quicker to touch the home button using Touch ID. What I do like about Face ID is the gestures and it is obvious from iOS 12 Beta that all iPad’s will have the same gestures anyway, so no benefit there by waiting. For other supposed benefits of Face ID, I have no business requirement. Emojis I played around with for the first week of getting the iPhone X and have not used since. I see as just a gimmick.

I expect the new iPad Pro will have even faster processor and maybe even higher resolution screen, but the present iPad Pro are already lightning fast and the display is higher resolution than my aging eyes can fully appreciate anyway.

So I am as happy as anything with my new purchase and set up. I can now use my 12.9” for music playing and at my desk - and use the 10.5” as more portable device around home and when travelling - and also as second screen on my desk when desired.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
totally agree that a new device is best bought when its needed, without too much thinking about what is to be released in the future.
tech is only useful to the extent we have it with us now. using it. enjoying it.

Jonathantuba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2017
UK
You’d have probably got a cheaper deal though, once the new models get announced.
I did think of that, but Apple usually discontinues the large storage option from previous models when reduced in price - and i particularly wanted the 512Gb for my requirements, as I am up to using 300Gb on my 12.9” IPP and want the 10.5” to mirror it.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I did think of that, but Apple usually discontinues the large storage option from previous models when reduced in price - and i particularly wanted the 512Gb for my requirements, as I am up to using 300Gb on my 12.9” IPP and want the 10.5” to mirror it.

There’d have still been plenty available via third party authorised resellers though.

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
You may think I am mad, but I have just gone out and got a new iPad Pro 10.5” 512Gb before new ones with Face ID come out to supplement my existing 12.9” which I absolutely love, but is really too big in some situations.

Why did I buy now? On giving the matter much thought I cannot see any benefit for me in my iPad having small bezels - in fact that would in some ways be counterproductive in no area to hold without fingers over the screen. I can see the benefit on the iPhone to make the screen as big as possible on small device, but not so on the iPad.

For Face ID, I am not too keen on the swipe up from the bottom and on larger iPad screen that will be worst. It really is quicker to touch the home button using Touch ID. What I do like about Face ID is the gestures and it is obvious from iOS 12 Beta that all iPad’s will have the same gestures anyway, so no benefit there by waiting. For other supposed benefits of Face ID, I have no business requirement. Emojis I played around with for the first week of getting the iPhone X and have not used since. I see as just a gimmick.

I expect the new iPad Pro will have even faster processor and maybe even higher resolution screen, but the present iPad Pro are already lightning fast and the display is higher resolution than my aging eyes can fully appreciate anyway.

So I am as happy as anything with my new purchase and set up. I can now use my 12.9” for music playing and at my desk - and use the 10.5” as more portable device around home and when travelling - and also as second screen on my desk when desired.

Considering you have an iPad Pro already it still seems extremely odd to get another one without first seeing the final product for the 2018 iPad Pros when you are this close. But hey it's your money. As long as there's a 0% chance you'll regret this purchase without seeing the final 2018 iPad Pros then go for it.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
I have noticed how often I unlock my iPad with the Touch ID when I’m not looking at it and my face is not even close to being lined up with the screen. For me - if I had to look squarely into the iPad for Face ID - that would be a pain in the butt. I typically have it set on my desk and just reach over and casually unlock with Touch ID when needed.

So I’m perfectly happy with my iPad Pro 10.5 and am not looking to upgrade any time soon.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
There’d have still been plenty available via third party authorised resellers though.
Not to mention Apple Certified Refurbs. For higher capacities and LTE, that's usually cheaper than brand new without going for third party used/refurb.

Of course, if one needs it now, then by all means go for it. Me, I don't mind waiting for another price cut.

Reactions: akash.nu

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

You have 14 Days to Exchange it. Very likely You will.

Reactions: TinyChip

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
Good call buying the iPad when you need. Otherwise there's a good chance you'd have to wait until spring 2019 and who wants to do that?

Reactions: arefbe

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
No new iPad but that all but confirms an October event for it and Macs. If the A12 processor didn’t convince you the A12X will make you sad you didn’t wait this close to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.