I just got a new MBP but...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheMonarch, Oct 18, 2008.

1. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

So I just came back from the Apple store after getting the new 15" MBP, but one thing that concerns me is the box. It seems like there's a new clear sticker over the old seal, presumably because it's been opened before?

I asked them to get another box, since I told them it looked opened, but they came back with 2 boxes, and said they all looked like this.
    [​IMG]

Your thoughts? I haven't opened the box myself yet.

Attached Files:

2. 7even macrumors 6502a

Standard Apple seal. That means it HASN'T been opened.

3. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Sorry, I meant that there's another seal over a previously cut seal. I should also point out that I saw someone else walking around with a box with 2 seals.

4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

uh oh.. maybe it was a returned mbp for a dead/stuck pixel! :eek::eek:

5. 7even macrumors 6502a

Ok then... no clue. That's weird :confused: Is there another Apple store you can try? Perhaps order one online?

6. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

Maybe it was an accident. Good thing you took a picture. I say don't worry about it, and if there are any problems, go back to the Apple Store you bought it from and say something. With that picture as evidence in case it happens, there is no wrong in that scenario.

I saw this kind of problem with external hard drive boxes, and I had to select one from the few that had it from Best Buy. Never had a problem since (2 yrs ago).

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

As long as the sticker on the felt cover is sealed I wouldn't be too worried.

That would be illegal ;)

8. seafurydriver macrumors member

As they say in China..."Maybe customer not notice"

9. EngenZerO macrumors regular

my first mbp (late 2008) came with the double sticker. that mbp ended up having a dead pixel center screen and the fan made a weird low repetitive click sound. luckily i got a cool store manager that let me exchange. my new mbp box only came with one sticker.

10. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

My early 2k8 MBP had the same thing. I bought it from an online retailer, thought they were committing fraud, and called AppleCare for advice on what to do.

They had me go into my local Apple store and open it in front of a genius. The genius claimed this wasn't uncommon, esp. for BTO machines, that the boxes may be reopened due to missing parts, or rechecking at the factory. The main thing is if the seal on the machine itself is intact, which mine was. Fortunately my machine was/is perfect :)

11. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

My friend recreated the seal of my MBP when he sold it to me. Just took some packing tape, place a cup over it and cut.

I am sure that it is fine though. From the picture it looks like someone just picked up the box from the flap. I do hate when people do that, but I think it's fine.

12. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

There's a seal on the machine itself?

Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, the last laptop I bought was a 17" PowerBook G4, which only had a seal on the box.

13. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I remember my iMac had a sheet of thin foam all around it and it was 'sealed' with a sticker.

14. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Alright, I'm posting this from my new MBP, and everything seems to check out just fine so far. No dead pixels to speak of right now, and no problems with glare yet. I'll see tomorrow morning if it'll be a problem.

Thanks for all the input. :)

15. blurfonz macrumors regular

ENVIOUS!! :)

16. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Congrats, as long as the actual plastic envelope that is wrapped around the MBP is intact I would not be worried.

17. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

It's that damned Oliver Stone and his new movie W. There is an air of conspiracy and that clear glossy tape that seals the box. My old MBP had double seals but I didn't notice if the bottom seal was already broken. It turned out that I returned it for the newer machine. Do you think that Apple noticed it? Will someone come to my door and expect to make a switch of machines?:cool: I did notice that my new MBP battery had two cycles on it. Cue the music, dunt na na...scream!