I just got a pc like virus on my macbook pro!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacProRocker, Sep 6, 2008.

1. MacProRocker macrumors newbie

MacProRocker

I am really irritated right now. I am new to Mac computers, and I was told that Mac's could not get viruses unless you authorized the install. I was just browsing the web, and then all of a sudden I had a pop up that said "You PC has been running slower than usual. Click here to run a virus scan". I tried just closing it, but it just kept popping up. I finally had to force quit Safari. What can I do to get rid of this??? PLEASE HELP!!!!

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

thats just a fake flash/java animation that highjacks you while you visit a site to make you think you have a virus so you then buy their software which is probably malware. your safe. my recommendation is to stay away from the site you were browsing.

even if you were on a PC if you didnt download anything you wouldnt of been infected.

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I wouldn't worry about, that message you got is probably from some windows AV company trying to get you to buy their product,i'd just try rebooting anyways it's a windows thing so it wont effect your Mac

EDIT damn you richthomas look at our reply's & time

4. MacProRocker thread starter macrumors newbie

MacProRocker

That's good to know. It scared the crap out of me. It got me looking more into my security setttings. How should I have my Firewall set.

1. Allow all incoming connections
    2. Allow only essential services
    3. Set access for specific services and applications

Also, on FileVault, it says I have not set a master password and that my FileVault protection is off. Should I turn this on?

Also, should I enable Stealth Mode???

5. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

It's just a pop up.

Open up safari's preferences and go to the advance tab. Tick 'block pop up windows'

I also suggest you install Safari Block to block all these annoying ads.

As to your questions:

Changing your firewall settings won't stop the pop ups. Allow all incoming connections should be fine for you.

FileVault is a system that encrypts all the data on your Mac - so if it's stolen nobody will be able to get the info.
    To be honest, it causes more problems than it fixes so leave it turned off (unless you think some hacker is going to get at your Mac.)

*Private Browsing mode means that Safari keeps no trace of where you've been on the internet. So it doesn't save history, chache, cookies etc.
    I wouldn't turn it on for normal browsing, it won't stop the pop-ups but just mean sites will never remember when you logged on!

6. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

That's Private Browsing mode you described. You can turn it on in Safari by going Safari -> Private Browsing Mode. Stealth mode is a function of the firewall that ensures that closed ports give no response of their existance so it looks like no computer exists at all.

7. hongkong mac macrumors newbie

Rogue Vimax Adbanners on every page

Hello MacRumors Forum

I'm in Hong Kong and recently the bandwith has been paltry and not what it was and also a majority of web pages I visit now have Vimex Flash Adbanners.

Even on the BBC - which in no era would ever endorse such an ad.

ANy one else experience this in HK?

Is Safari corrupted?

Is this a danger to my hardrive and info on it?

Can I delete Safari and re-install from original discs to recover an uninfected Safari?

Looking for some solutions or anyone experience the above

Thanks for your help

HongKong Mac

This is

8. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Download and install Safari Block. Should prevent the banners from loading.

Also, get Firefox.

9. hongkong mac macrumors newbie

Safari Block

Safari Block

Yup

Fixed it up right away.

Thank you :D

10. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

....and install the NoScript add on which helps a great deal.... oh , and it has the added bonus of stopping flash unless you want to view it ! (which is good if your on a capped monthly service and if you dislike advertising, some of which it stops )