I just got a shiny "new" 3gs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alakazzam, Jun 27, 2010.

1. alakazzam macrumors member

So my iPhone had been acting funny not recognizing chargers and not being able to connect to my computer and I brought it into the apple store to have them look at it. He looks at my phone says, "I'm just gonna go take it apart out back and have a look at the inside be right back."

five minutes later....

"So, you've got some corrosion inside, normally this isn't covered under warranty but, we'll swap it out today for you just be more careful in the future because you may not be able to swap it out again."

So I go back to the genius bar and get my shiny new refurbished 32gig 3gs. As this is happening he informs me that that was also the very last day of my applecare service! Wow I felt like a lucky person. I forgot how shiny and new the iPhone looked when I first got it.

2. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

looks like your got yourself a good deal there. nice of them to swap it out for you.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Unless there's evidence of water damage, I'd think any corrosion would be covered while under Applecare.

4. dischNoutTAspd macrumors regular

the same thing happened with my 3gs a few months back.. they will always tell you "corrosion" thats just there default statement (which is true with all electrical devices) . the fact is , is that if you live somewhere humid or in the summer states, moisture will find its way in anywhere. theres nothing you can really do about it.

5. alakazzam thread starter macrumors member

I asked about this and of course they denied it as being possible but, I tend to agree with you that this is the mostlikely cause being that it's been abnormally humid here lately and I'm really good about avoiding water in general.

Whatever the cause I'm just happy I didn't have to buy a new 3GS or wait weeks for an iPhone 4.

6. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

same thing happened to me a few months ago. I was so annoyed by my phone before hand it was all scuffed up and had antenna issues so id just flip on mywi and use my ipad haha. Once I got it replaced under warranty for a beautiful new white 32g I got a white case right away and have been using my phone alot more lately haha. worked out great cause now when the white 4 is released I can sell a white 32g 3GS in PERFECT condition.

7. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

8. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Really not a bad idea!