I just got an iPhone, and I have need help with notifications

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by felixxiano, Jun 22, 2009.

1. felixxiano macrumors newbie

Ok. After seeing all my buds have wonderful experiences with the iPhone, I decided to get one yesterday. However, there are some features that I do not see and are really really making it difficult for me to like the phone.

I'm not going to 'promote' other phones, so let's just say my previous phone gave instant notifications (ie. vibrated or made a sound) immediately after somebody did any of the following even when it was in 'sleep' mode:

1. sent me an email to work or to my gmail accounts
    2. tried to chat with me on yahoo messenger or gchat
    3. got any facebook notifications

I honestly assummed the iPhone would do the same things; it was probably my mistake for not doing enough research, but I cannot seem to find any of these features on the phone.

I have been reading some of the posts, and it seems like everyone has been waiting for the so-called 'push' notifications for a few months now, but you can't do anything at the moment.

WTF?? Please someone help me and tell me I am doing something wrong and my problems can be fixed.

2. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

The phone will give a sound and vibrate for emails (even when asleep) assuming you have the phone set to automatically fetch new emails (as opposed to checking manually), and you have the appropriate sound/vibrate settings (in settings>sounds).

IM & facebook notifications will come when those apps are updated to use the new push notification system.

But yeah, notifications are not the iPhone's strongest suit... probably should have researched that first.

3. geestring macrumors newbie

i was trying to understand this too. So yahoo works with push right?

So when i sent my yahoo email a msg to test everything out I should have gotten a text msg like response notifying me of the email? I didnt get anything.