I just got an iPod and am interested it Jailbreaking it...

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by iPod oldschool, Nov 10, 2007.

1. iPod oldschool macrumors member

Is there any big risks I may be taking doing this? I know the basics and such of the touch and I put linux on my old 4th gen iPod. What should I know if I do it, and is there some sort of tutorial for it?

2. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

yes there are not tutorials .... but programs now so basically you jst sit there and let the program do all the work.

basically there is one called touchfree i think and ijailbreak depending on which operating system you choose to use.

3. iPod oldschool thread starter macrumors member

I just did jailbreakme.com and it worked fine, though I'm not too impressed. I am not finding anything to interesting about it so far. Is it just me?

4. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

bascially you there are 3 main steps to jailbreaking your ipod

1. exposing it so it will be able to have read write access in the system files

2. installing the jailbreak ( using ijailbreak ) ... this should install a app called installer in your home menu which is where all apps are indexed

3. installing apps from the 'installer' program added to your freshly jailbroken touch.

can i ask which OS ur using ?

5. iPod oldschool thread starter macrumors member

I am using XP Pro. Should I restore and jailbreak it through ijailbreak.com instead? I don't mind restoring it.

6. hecks macrumors regular

I see you have two threads on this topic, I suppose I'll post here. What exactly is it that you're expecting to see that you're not seeing? In other words, do you think your jailbreak has failed? Or are you just not impressed by the available apps?

7. iPod oldschool thread starter macrumors member

Well, I see all these people with the iPhone apps and what not, and I can't find them at all anywhere. I am going to restore my touch and do it through this site. http://www.slovix.com/touchfree/

8. hecks macrumors regular

That's my preferred method, too, but it will make no difference if it's iPhone apps you're looking for (these aren't available to download from Installer.app). Here:

http://www.google.com/search?q=install+iphone+apps+on+ipod+touch

Includes some handy YouTube tutorials as well.

9. iPod oldschool thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so I just jailbroke it with the above link, now how do I get the iPhone apps?

10. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

look above your post ... musta bin luck that lol ^ :D

11. iPod oldschool thread starter macrumors member

Ok, im looking at that tutorial, how do I get the touch's host name(ip address)?

12. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

settings - wifi - on your connected network there is a blue arrow thing press that - then it should show details

13. iPod oldschool thread starter macrumors member

Nice, I got it all working. Now, how can I reorganize all my icons? Sorry if I'm nagging, this is my first time really going in depth with this kind of thing.

14. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

lol no worries ..... err ... if im honest I jailbroke my ipod within 2 hours of playing with it lol.

anyways ... re arranging your icons is very annoying ... basically i recommend installing all the apps you would like THEN i think there is a program that will make a certain file which you have to copy back to the iPod touch. basically its not simple lol.

15. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

why dont you go to jailbreakme.com and then install the customization apps from there?

16. hecks macrumors regular

17. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

jailbreakme.com

Won't get easier than that.

Install Summerboard in Installer

18. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

19. hecks macrumors regular

You can't re-arrange icons with Summerboard. You need the hex-edited version of Customize.app (-> rSBT), from thread linked above.

20. iPod oldschool thread starter macrumors member

How do I combine photos, music, and videos under iPod?

21. JoshJosh117 macrumors 6502

What program do you use if you have Vista Ultimate?