Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
My buddy got his brand new 3GS stolen on a beach in LA a couple weeks ago. There is basically nothing you can do to get it back. If you had MobileMe you could use find my iPhone to track it down, but then it's up to you to decide how best to go about getting it back...

Noumenon

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
It was probably the manager who ended up with it. Go in and tell him it had GPS tracking software on it, and now you know where he lives and are prepared to call the police. If that doesn't work, give him the old 'fork in the eye'.

jacobgaul

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
im going to have to agree with the guy who said u shouldnt leave $500 device sitting out.. its your own fault suck it up. i lost a wallet once because it fell out of my pocket.. i was mad but got over it because it was MY FAULT.. be more careful with things of value. why you would leave it out on a table to begin with is beyond me.

iphoneftw

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
MobileMe doesn't help when your phone is stolen, only if you've lost it. The first thing someone does when they steal a phone is turn it off, and then they wipe it and jailbreak.

The OP should've called the police right then. He should still do that, but the probability of getting it back is pretty slim now.

actually it could if the user has there phone passcode locked then they still have little chance and also assuming the person who stole it doesnt know how to use one. chances are they stole it because they are to cheap to buy one.
how do you know the first thing they do anyways :confused: has someone been involved in an iphone heist???

101X

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2009
i was at an att store when i over heard this guy say to an att person his iphone got stolen and the att person asked him if he wanted his iphone shut down.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
actually it could if the user has there phone passcode locked then they still have little chance and also assuming the person who stole it doesnt know how to use one. chances are they stole it because they are to cheap to buy one.
how do you know the first thing they do anyways :confused: has someone been involved in an iphone heist???

Your post just gave me a great idea.

If the iPhone is PASSCODE LOCKED, then in order for the thief to turn the phone off, they would be required to enter the password. That way you can use Mobile Me to track your phone, at least until the battery dies.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Filing a police report right then and there would have been the best course of action. Now - it's still the best viable option but less likely to do much.

You could speak to the manager and (depending on his iphone/etc savvy) have a little psychological warfare by stating that you would like to recover your iPhone and while you don't want to accuse his/her staff of stealing from their customers - ultimately getting the phone back is important. Offer a reward (clearly less than you'd pay for a replacement) at the same time "dropping the hint" along the lines of

"I'd like to offer a reward for any of your staff that finds the iphone. Maybe one of them put it in a safe place when they saw I left the table and just forgot about it. It happens. But the phone isn't going to do anyone but me any good because I have the EMEI code which I'll need to get locked rendering the phone useless to anyone that has it anyway. No questions - if you call me and tell me I can pick up the phone, I'll drop off cash in the amount of ___ and you can deal with the staff member however you deem appropriate. "

And be sincere - calm and repeat the last part if necc. The bottom line is - you want your phone back more than you want any justice I assume. This lets the restaurant get you your iphone back with as little incident as possible.

iphoneftw

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Your post just gave me a great idea.

If the iPhone is PASSCODE LOCKED, then in order for the thief to turn the phone off, they would be required to enter the password. That way you can use Mobile Me to track your phone, at least until the battery dies.
do I dectect a little sarcasm?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.