Resolved I just got my new/ first iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kristalsoldier, Aug 14, 2013.

1. kristalsoldier macrumors regular

Hi all...

I struggled to decide whether or not to buy an iPad now given the possible release of a new iteration with somewhat better specs and form factor.

I placed this under the "resolved" sub-thread because my struggle to decide on whether to buy the iPad or wait for the new one is indeed resolved! :D

I went ahead and bought the iPad 4 today (and an accompanying smart cover) and its been a few hours since I have been setting it up.

I also got 3% off the Selling price + a GBP 35 voucher to use in the App Store, which made the cost to me palatable. One thing that I did not think was expensive are the apps. They may be 4-6 quid each, but they do add up. The voucher was/ is a great help here.

My first impressions:

Disclaimer: I already own and extensively use a Nexus 10 and the Surface RT. Compared to the Nexus, the iPad seems a little heavier. In fact, it seems closer in weight to the Surface though I have not yet checked their exact weights.

The back of the iPad definitely feels odd to touch as compared to the plastic back of the Nexus and the VaporMag back of the Surface. Comparatively, I prefer the tactile experience of the Nexus and the Surface as compared to the iPad. The back-cover of the iPad is too...how should I put it...metallic!!!! I would have preferred a jet black anodized back cover...but hey...that's for a later point in time (if Apple releases one, that is).

In terms of speed, the iPad is quick! It is similar to the Nexus and I would be hard-pressed to declare either one a clear winner. Both, on the other hand, are much faster than the Surface.

Setting up the iPad was not a problem at all. I am discounting the initial fumbles I made given that this is my very first exposure to iOS.

But what did catch my eye was the slickness of the apps that I have downloaded thus far. For example, before I bought the iPad, I used to use the Nexus for reading my PDF books. While I had a number of apps - like ezPDF, Acrobat etc., I preferred Mantano, which I thought was great. But that was till I downloaded and used Goodreader. PDF Expert and iAnnotate. Together, they make the experience of reading PDF documents a pleasure!!!!

I also liked the virtually seamless way the Skydrive app works in iOS (I must admit I was a bit surprised). The Dropbox integration is also excellent and I am looking forward to exploring its capabilities a bit more.I also downloaded Notability (and have a Wacom stylus on order). I can't wait to markup my PDFs!!!!

Mail set up - two personal mail accounts (Gmail and Outlook) and one work-related mail account - was a breeze. It just works, which is something that I do appreciate.

All in all, it was a pleasant experience - both while buying the tablet and the post purchase setup.

I am sure some of you will say that I should have waited for the iPad5, but my work demands that I need a tablet that is conducive to reading. Yes, it is a bit heavy. But I can deal with that.

In so far as the iOS is concerned - coming from Android and Windows - it does feel rather pared down. But the flip side of that is that it is very simple to use, which serves the target market well. Oh...and I don't like Safari! I wil be downloading Chrome on the iPad - as it has all my bookmarks, etc. (hopefully, the passwords will work too!).

That's about it for the moment.

Cheers!

PS: Mods, sorry if this is in the wrong sub-section. If necessary, please do feel free to move this post around. Thanks.

2. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Time will tell how you feel about it. Glad you went ahead and bought it, I thought you would cause you sort of have a guarantee so to speak if it isn't working out for you and then you can wait on the Mini 2 or iPad 5.

3. kristalsoldier thread starter macrumors regular

Well, for what I want out of the iPad, it is working out just right. Reading is a pleasure - much better than what I have experienced thus far on the Nexus and the Surface. Surfing the web though is another kettle of fish. I still prefer the Nexus and the Surface - but that may just be a function of what I consider Safari's dismal performance.

I will not be getting the Mini 2 - its too small. I was playing around with it a bit when the sales staff at my local Apple store were fixing me up. And, as for the new full-size version is concerned, I indulged in some twisted logic to explain things to myself. I said to myself - (1) lighter is good - very good, but is thinner good? Would it make a device more fragile (weak, I know, but there it is); (2) New iteration - with a new/ updated version of the OS. Well, not to say that Apple makes these mistakes often, but things happen - it is an untested platform and a lot can go wrong - like it happened in some cases with the iPad 3. I would not like that to happen to me (nor would anyone really - again weak); (3) Every day that I am without the iPad, I am only causing myself a problem. If I could have rented or borrowed an iPad, then that was another matter. But the fact is that I can't. So, the matter came down to whether I would take the plunge and go for it or would I only increase my problems - this was critical because as of now there is no confirmation as to when Apple is going to release the new version. This reason is not so weak.

So there you have it!

Oh...did I mention it, I got the "black" version (which, to my surprise, I found meant a Black Logo and Black bezels!!!!!).

4. coops macrumors regular

I've found iCab to be a good browser for our ipad 2 (I think Safari is pretty poor too).

Maxthon seems ok - using it on a Nexus 7... certainly preferable to Chrome on Google's own hardware ;)

5. kristalsoldier thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah...I ditched Chrome on the iPad (though on the Nexus 10 after the 4.3 update, it is very good). I replaced it with the free version of Mercury Browser, which appears to be much better. If I like it after using it for a couple of weeks, I may just buy the paid version.

6. FrankB1191, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013

FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I bought my first Apple device around the beginning of this year, and had used Android tablets prior to that. The iPad 4 offers more than meets the eye, and you can get a quick tour on YouTube. Search "iPad tips and tricks". I didn't even know about the 4 finger swipe to reveal the menu at the bottom of the tablet, but someone showed me two weeks after I bought it. I was a bit surprised that it didn't include a calculator, but then I found the free calculator app (without banner ads). There are plenty of free apps, but you'll have to look through the selection. Enjoy!

P.S. I watched a YouTube video yesterday, demonstrating video editing on the iPad using iMovie. I had NO idea the iPad could do that sort of thing, and iMovie is USD $5. The demo was done using the iPad Mini.

7. kristalsoldier, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013

kristalsoldier thread starter macrumors regular

Good idea! Thanks!!! Will do.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Just out of curiosity, since you already had a Nexus and a Surface, what did you need to do on an iPad that you couldn't do on those machines that you couldn't wait 2-3 more months for?

BTW, I always get a TPU back cover for my iPads. The aluminum back is beautiful, but TPU gives me a much better grip, plus some protection against drops and bumps.

9. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

I would make sure to give Safari a try when iOS 7 is released. It is far superior than the current version and from what I can tell much faster than the 3rd party browsers.

10. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

Another suggestion is to go to the iBooks Bookstore and download the iPad users guide for iOS6. It will give you lots of helpful hints that you may not have known about as a new user. When iOS 7 is out I am sure they will update that guide or publish a new one. (At least they did for the last few iOS versions)

I replaced my iPad 3 (16GB WiFi Only) today with the iPad 4 (64GB WiFi + Cellular). I kept running out of space and it was getting on my nerves, plus lately it is getting harder and harder to get connected at some places via WiFi. So I decided to take advantage of AT&T's Next program and get the iPad 4. I probably could have waited for the 5, but I have a nice case for my iPad from Coach that I am certain the iPad 5 would not be able to use. Since no specs on it were released yet other than the thinner form factor and thinner bezels, I am certain that the iPad 4 will last me at least the next 12 months when at that time I could trade it in under the Next plan and get the iPad 5 if I want it or wait for the iPad 6 when it is put.

11. kristalsoldier thread starter macrumors regular

Well, in my job I have to read a lot of texts - PDFs primarily. The problem with the nexus and the surface is the aspect ratio. Very cumbersome to read documents. Plus, I needed some very mature apps that could handle very large PDFs, which I seemed to only find in iOS. That said, I use the nexus now for surfing and movies and sometimes the surface too for those reasons. But the surface now stands in as my laptop and since it comes with Office installed, it is perfect for my needs. Btw, you can imagine the scale of my reading related work when I tell you that I have over 7500 Ebooks - PDFs + ePub +djvu formats - and I am adding about 3-4 books per day. Most of them are for reference work etc.

----------

Good idea. Thanks. Will do.