I just got my new MBP and I love it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by btnnaz, Oct 15, 2008.

1. btnnaz macrumors regular

IT IS FRICKEN AWESOME!!!! I had a matte display before and thought it would be a problem but i tried it indoors and tried it outdoors it is so bright and vibrant you barely see any glares and it doesnt bother me at all. The feel of it is so nice. Apple really did make a nice machine here!

2. Aranince macrumors 65816

Sweet, I can't wait to get mine! Wish Apple would hurry up and verify my student status :mad:

3. Skeva31776 macrumors member

Can't wait till i get mine, my buddy has one now and they freakin awesome!

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

What? Are they checking that now? Never have before.

5. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Pics or it didn't happen...

lol just kidding and congrats man hope you love it.

ChrisN

6. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

congrats! i have also added you to my growing "hate you" list. :D

7. TtimeWithTy macrumors member

yay! i cant wait, said mine should get here on the 21st - 27th, i hope its the 21st because then i would have a day to mess around with it before i class starts up again.

8. ucsdmac macrumors 6502

ucsdmac

hes probably talking about the ADC discount for students. They always verify that you're a student in this process by requiring you to send in your ID/class schedule.

9. shortlex macrumors member

shortlex

WHOOA, I'm with you man, getting mine this saturday!

10. TtimeWithTy macrumors member

ADC? what does that mean?

11. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

It's some sort of Apple Developers package students can buy and once a member they can buy discounted hardware.

12. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha btnnaz,

I'm going to try to get one this weekend. I have a coworker that wants to give me $1000 for my 2 year-old 15" Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz MacBook Pro. That means I would only have to come up with the other $1000, but my wife is a bit hesitant. We're getting ready to go on vacation and the bill just came in for our airplane tickets, but she's not definitely saying no, so there's still hope for this week. I can't wait to get it - I keep watching the keynote to see it. Yeah, I really need a life hehehe :D

I'm glad that you like it. I was also curious about the screen. I'm not a digital professional and all, but the last glossy laptop I had was an extremely heavy HP - the glare on that one was almost unbearable at times. My new MacBook Pro will certainly come in handy as I go back to school for my Master's program either this year or next, and it's certainly powerful enough, graphics-wise, to take care of my rather meager Photoshop skills.

Here's a question - in your opinion, is it good enough to actually replace an iMac? I know the screen is a bit smaller, but is it powwerful enough to do so? I also have an iMac that I absolutely love, but I don't really need two computers at the current time.

:apple:HawaiiMacAddict

13. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

finally. that is great to hear. people thought the imac is to glossy at first as well but it seems most people are ok with it. and now it seems the MBP will be fine for most people as well. certainly good news for all that wait for their MBP's.

how is it with heat?

14. btnnaz thread starter macrumors regular

My brother has a previous mbp model and he completely got rid of his imac and just used his mbp and loved it so im sure this computer is more than powerful enough to replace it

15. btnnaz thread starter macrumors regular

so far none

16. FilipMil macrumors member

HeHe I cant wait

yeah im getting mine between 21-28 I CANT WAIT
    what are your spec's guys/gurls? what u get?

2.8 ghz, 4gb ram, 250gb 7200rpm :):):)

17. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

so whats this black dot looking thing next to the superdrive on the MBP, I havent seen anything about it on the apple website.

Oh ya i hate you all and I've been waiting for this update for awhile so i'll be ordering one soon

18. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

Congrats man! I'm glad there is more praise about the new mbp than bashing.

19. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Like on other MB(P) it's the infrared for the remote.

20. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I've got to admit that I'm very happy with my choice also. The glossy is not that scary but after years of matte I was hesitant. I into the Apple Store about 11am and didn't see them on display. After a short conversation with the Manager I walked out of the store at 11:30 with what appeared to be the first MBP.

21. MusicallySilent macrumors member

New Macbook Pro, with super drive on right, the black oval is the kensignton lock slot, and the black slit on front is IR sensor

Old MBP with super drive on front, black circle is ir sensor

22. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

ah alright..for some reason i thought the lock slot was on the other side of the machine.

Ya i new the IR sensors were on the front

23. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I just saw one for the first time (Pro and regular new Macbook) and it was awesome. The only thing, as mentioned before, for the regular new Macbook, is lack of firewire. I don't own anything with that port so it's no big issue for me.

When I asked a couple of Apple employees in the Apple Store, they told me that you can't connect a firewire peripheral to a USB 2.0 port. I don't have either, but I thought it could be done. My stuff, printers, scanner, keyboard, and thumb drive are all USB 1.0.

The new Macbook seems lighter than the previous Macbook but the Apple store told me it is about the same in weight. I thought it felt a pound or a pound and a half lighter. But the overall feel is definitely lighter for some reason. The previous Macbook and the one currently at $999 have firewire. To me, that's the more practical product just in case I find a camera that is firewire. The Macbook Pro seems lighter than the previous Macbook Pro and thankfully Apple put firewire in that higher end model.

24. damlog89 macrumors newbie

I'm getting the MacBook Pro:
    2.8GHz
    4GB 1066Mz DDR3 SDRM
    320GB Serial ATA @ 7200

as well as the obvious other stuff. I dont think the screen is going to be that bad, especially considering that it's an LED behind the glass. I think it's gonna be similar to the iPhone as far as glare is concerned, but we'll see.

BTW, I don't know about you guys but my MacBook Pro waas shipped out of China and is currently in Alaska. I paid for the 2-3 day shipping and I'm not gonna get it 'till wednesday. Apparently, Apple in China is having a tough time getting all of the new laptops out. So, I wouldn't expect your shipments to arrive at the beginning of your "expected" delivery date. Especially if you live closer to the east coast. Since I'm not gonna get the laptop in time, I called apple and they're gonna credit $25 back to my credit card (note: expedited shipping only cost $12). Noice! I have a calculus exam on tuesday anyways, so maybe it's a good thing that I won't get it until the next day. haha.

25. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I tested these new 'Books at my local Apple Store yesterday, and I was impressed enough to make the whimsical visual musing below...

Attached Files: