I just had an amazing idea for an app and accessory

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Renegade89, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Renegade89 macrumors member

Ok, so I don't know if this has been posted here before or if a company actually is working on this right now, but here's my idea.

Well developers can now write code to interface with their own custom accessories, right? Well a great accessory would be an infrared transmitter. And the app could have transmit codes for all sorts of TVs, DVD players, Home stereos, etc, and allow the iPhone to act as a remote for... everything!

If only I had the ability to mass produce that kind of accessory lol.

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

Isn't there already an IR transmitter that you can plug into any audio jack, and then play specific sounds to transmit a certain message (like "shutdown")?

3. Shaan macrumors member

This idea is already a work-in-progress by a number of different companies.

4. The General macrumors 601

Good idea. And have the remote control app be upside down so that we can point the bottom of the phone toward the TV.

Another idea is a case for your iPhone that has buttons for gaming. Sell the device, provide developers with device drivers for it.

5. Renegade89 thread starter macrumors member

Oh thats awesome! I hope a company is working on a more compact and cheaper one, as that seems pretty expensive!

Haha, I had the exact same idea about turning the app upside down, and i think i remember cases with buttons floating around before 3.0 was even announced, so I would assume something like that would definitely be in development.

6. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

The linked device connects to the iPhone using wifi, so there would be no need to point it at anything. You wouldn't even need to be in the same room (or house), as long as you could connect to your home network.

7. The General macrumors 601

The linked device is lame.

8. edge540 macrumors regular

edge540

This one is pretty sweet as you don't need to have anything plugged into the iphone. It just connects via Wi-Fi.

RedEye