I just have a simple question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zigzag801, Feb 15, 2009.

  1. zigzag801 macrumors member

    Apr 5, 2008
    I don't NEED a MBP till like (June/Julyish) but I want one really bad but my greatest fear is that if I buy it now then I'm going to regret not waiting for the new MBP. The main things I do on my iMac is play World of Warcraft, Adobe Design Premium CS3 (don't plan on getting CS4), and iLife. I may get Final Cut Pro and I'm going to get Diablo 3 when it comes out. If I were to buy the 15 inch 2.4ghz MBP and add 4 gigs of Ram from crucial.com do you guys think I will be able to run most of these programs? I figure I can because my Imac is only 2.4ghz with 2gigs of ram and so far its running all these programs nicely. But I don't wanna make a dumb decision and wondering if maybe I should save up just a little more to get the 2.53 ghz model?
  2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

    Oct 24, 2007
    All the current MBPs should be able to handle those apps.
  3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604


    Aug 28, 2007
    San Francisco California, USA
    OP, not really clear; but are you asking if you should get the new Unibody MBP 2.4 v. the new Unibody MBP 2.53? Those are already out on the market; or are you waiting for the next best thing? Either way, any of those MBPs will work for your needs...
  4. opera57 macrumors 6502

    Feb 15, 2009
    You should have no problems running those programs on either spec really, especially with 4gb ram! [​IMG]
  5. zigzag801 thread starter macrumors member

    Apr 5, 2008
    awesome, thanks for the help guys. Now that I'm more comfortable knowing that I'll be able to run my apps on the Unibody MBP I'm really confident in getting one. Now I just need to decide on the 2.4ghz or the 2.53ghz but I think I'm going to go with the 2.4 just because I want to save some money, and I don't think the extra .13ghz is going to make a that big of a difference in what I'm doing.

    EDIT: I just read another bulletin about ghz speed and I think I will be getting the 2.53ghz now just to be safe. Might as well since I'm already paying a little over 2k anyways, just sucks that I have to buy the 2.53ghz MBP with the 4gb memory when I could just save the money on crucial
  6. Abstract macrumors Penryn


    Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I never understood the urge to pay so much money for the extra 0.13 GHz. The day the 2.4 GHz MBP is really considered "obsolete", or unable to run up-to-date software that you need, is the exact same day the 2.53 GHz MBP is obsolete. Gigahertz mean less than complete advantages in CPU technology and manufacturing. This is why my 2 year old, 2 GHz C2D white MacBook would be 10-20% slower than the current 2 GHz C2D white MacBook. ;)

    In my opinion, it's kind of like looking back at threads from 3 or 4 years ago. I remember people asking "Should I get the 1.33 GHz G4, or the 1.5 GHz G4 PowerBook? When you look at those machines now, and you were to try to run todays software on EITHER machine, you probably wouldn't be able to tell which machine was the 1.5 GHz, and which was the 1.33 GHz. All you'd notice is that they both run sloooowwwwwww.....
  7. zigzag801 thread starter macrumors member

    Apr 5, 2008
    That's a very good point, plus I don't really NEED the extra .13ghz, lol a lot of back and forth going on here :D Maybe I should just stick with the 2.4ghz and spend the left over money on accesories idk :)
  8. zigzag801 thread starter macrumors member

    Apr 5, 2008
    WOOT i just bought it so it will take a few days to get here, but thanks everyone for the help =) can't wait to add another mac to the family :apple:
  9. THX1139 macrumors 68000


    Mar 4, 2006
    You're not just paying for the extra Ghz. You also get a faster cache and additional 2GB of ram. When you look at all the extras it's not that much more to pay over the 2.4.

    The sweet spot for purchasing the Macbook Pro is the 2.53 unless you are just surfing the web and writing text documents. Of course, then you might be better off with a Macbook.
  10. Repo macrumors 6502a


    Feb 11, 2009
    You don't have to get the 2.53GHz processor for the extra 2GBs of RAM, you can BTO that on the 2.4GHz version. And Abstract is right, the price vs. performace is not very good. Just like my new 17" MBP. There is no way I'm going to pay $300 for 0.27GHz more. 3 or 4 years from now, I would have looked back and said: "Wow, I can't believe I paid $300 for this processor, when now it's SO SLOW!"

    It's all relative. If you need the latest and greatest and fastest possible NOW, upgrade the processor. If you realize there is hardly any difference, and want to save a lot of money, buy the standard processor.

Share This Page