I just learned you can swipe a text message to the left and reply directly

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andyACEcandy, Oct 7, 2014.

1. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

Told a few friends and they didn't know this either lol.

I'm referring to the text alert you get on your lock screen. I always thought I had to swipe right, then do the touchID to unlock and THEN reply to the text... but turns out you can swipe left and reply directly from your lock screen lol.

Is there a "useful tips" thread I'm missing out on? :eek:

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

3. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

I've never tried to swipe left to see if that feature was there, but I did know you could swipe right and took you directly to the message to reply. Had to put in password if you had one, otherwise no.

Are you saying that now even WITH a password set, you can reply from lock screen?

My phone never leaves my presence anyways so I'm not worried about that but just wondering.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You mean swipe down on the text message banner.

Never mind. Didn't see that you wrote about the lock screen. Yes, swipe to left when on the lock screen and swipe down when on the home screen to quickly respond to a notification.

5. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup, even with a password and touchID set, you can swipe left and reply directly to a text from your lock screen.
    This is huge for me, as I thought you could only do the right swipe + unlock + reply which was annoying if you were engaged in a text conversation with someone haha

6. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

I was speaking more from a security standpoint, but as I said my phone never leaves my side so I'm not worried about that. For me, this actually sounds very useful. (and you as well from what it looks like) I suppose if anyone is worried about security, they should just disable everything from the lock screen anyways.

7. sjperformance macrumors 6502

This is new for iOS 8. Quick reply from top banner from any screen. And quick reply from lock screen. You have to make sure "show preview" is enabled. If not you won't get this option because how would you know what you are replying to.

8. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Apple should've implemented this a LONG time ago. Better late than never I suppose.