I just lost 150Gbytes of my HD

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Soulstorm, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Hello,

I just deleted some Fusion virtual machines from my HD, of total size 150Gbytes, and I didn't see the free space going up even one bit!

I tried rebooting, repairing permissions, checking the disk with disk utility, nothing worked.

Any ideas how can I get those GBytes back?

15" retina MBP 2013

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Did you move them to trash or did you select 'keep files'?

3. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

"Keep files"? What is that option? I right clicked on them, and I selected "Move to trash" and then deleted them, by right clicking on the trash icon and selecting "Empty Trash"

4. janitor3 macrumors regular

Even though you clicked "empty trash", they're still on a file on your computer.
    Next time you want to empty trash, click on finder on the toolbar, then click on "secure empty trash".
    I did that last week, and though my trash can was empty, I had 127,670 files to be deleted.

5. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

When you click "Empty Trash" your computer is telling that your disk that the space taken by these files is now free to be overwritten, but it does not actually erase the files (setting all disk blocks to zero), it merely changes some flags. That's where "secure empty trash" differs: it rewrites all space taken by these files to "0".

But even the former option should show the correct available space. Secure empty trash does not have anything to do with it.

I waited for 30 minutes, and the problem was fixed. Seems that the high volume of data and the high number of files deleted forced OS X to perform a minor de-frag session, which takes time. I opened the Activity after deletion, and saw it working. When it stopped, the problem stopped. Interestingly enough, the deletion process continued even after rebooting - but there was no user interface element telling me that a process was going on. Hence, my post.