I just made an exciting purchase...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Mar 8, 2015.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I just purchased a PowerPC Mac on Ebay...it's not an especially great model, but one that I'm ecstatic to get.

Would any of the regulars here like to make a guess as to what I just bought? :)

2. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

3. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

20th Anniversary Mac!

I feel like you own everything else.

4. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

No and no(although a TAM is on my wish list :) )

It's a desktop, and newer than a TAM.

5. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I'm not sure. An iMac? The TAM was 1997? Or perhaps some rare prototype that never made it to market. I can't think of anything super interesting or exciting in my mind other than the TAM. You have G4's and G5's and PowerBooks and iBooks.

Or could it be on of those All in One PowerMac G3's? Those aren't that exciting in my mind.

I give up.

6. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

It is a G4...the only desktop G4 I didn't have

As I said, it's probably nothing especially notable to anyone other than me.

7. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Hmmm... I don't recall you ever mentioning having an eMac or iMac G4. Considering eBay shipping prices I'm going to guess the latter.

8. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

An eMac was actually the first PPC Mac I bought, and I was given a 1.25ghz 17" iMac G4 back in the fall.

It is a G4 tower...

9. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I thought so, my second guess is a DA G4.

10. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

That was the first G4 tower I bought :)

You're warm, though.

11. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

You sure have a lot of PPCs already, maybe even as many as I do :)

I seem to remember a while back you were looking for a G4 Yikes! model. Could that be it?

12. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

That's it!

Once it arrives, I will be able to say that I have every G4 tower made.

Of course, I sort of built my own Yikes! a few months back when I put a G4 upgrade in a B&W G3. Even so, I'm excited to get the real deal, just from a collecting perspective.

I did happen to think, though, I'm still missing one G4 desktop-I don't have a Mini. I don't get terribly excited over them, though.

13. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Very impressive! Of course I assume you mean every major revision of Power Mac G4 (DA, Quicksilver, MDD, etc.). I'm actually getting pretty close, just missing a Yikes! and Gigabit Ethernet. My recent purchase of a DA 533 MHz fills a gap, although it appears to have an issue which needs some looking into.

I have a Mac mini G4, you're right it's nothing special.

14. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Yes, that's what I mean:

Yikes!(on the way)
    Sawtooth
    GigE
    DA
    Quicksilver
    Quicksilver 2002
    MDD
    MDD2003
    FW800

I have multiple examples of several of these, but the Yikes! has been eluding me for a while.

15. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Oh, I didn't count the later revisions of Quicksilver and MDD. I guess from the perspective of having every major case design I'm covered. Here's what I have:

Sawtooth (2x)
    Cube
    DA
    Quicksilver (Original)
    MDD (Original)

When did you say you started collecting? You must have been doing it for a little while at least :)

16. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'll have been collecting for a year in May.

I also didn't mention Cubes in my above list. I have two 450mhz ones(one DVD, the other the rarer CD-RW version) and have a 500mhz on the way that should be here tomorrow.

I also have dupes of several of the above. I have two DAs, two original QSs(one currently without a processor, one a dual 800), two QS 2002s(one a factory dual 1ghz, and one originally an 800mhz that currently has a Gigadesigns Dual 1.8 running at 1.6ghz), two original MDDs(one a dual 867, the other a dual 1ghz), and two MDD2003s(both single 1.25s).

17. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Here's the beast

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301512958733?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It's dirty, but should clean up okay(at least they left the HDD bracket in it also). Having a SCSI card is always nice(particular one with an internal SCSI connector). I don't know how much RAM this has-the stick on the back says 64mb, so I'm guessing the unmarked Apple OEM stick is 64mb. The Crucial stick is 256mb, and I'm guessing that the other-not visible-stick might be also. Whatever it is, I have enough RAM on hand to max it out to 1gb.

I also bought this yesterday

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161599949339?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I have a Radeon 9200 and a flashed PCI 5200, so am not sure what I'll end up putting in the Yikes!. If I can ever get Leopard running on my B&W(which should be faster than the Yikes!), I'll probably put the 5200 in there, the 9200 in the Yikes!, and maybe put the 7000 in my OS 9 only B&W(or maybe my hot-rod beige G3).

Decisions, decisions. If only I could pick up a half dozen 9200s for a few dollars apiece, it would make decisions easy :)

18. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

All I can say is... Yikes!

Sounds like your collection is really taking off. That's pretty neat. Out of curiosity what was your best offer?

How much do TAM's go for these days? A couple thousand?

19. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

$30

As for TAMs-I haven't tracked them too closely, as honestly if I were going to spend a bunch of money on something for one of my collections, I'd rather buy an interesting watch.

In any case, I think $1000-1500 is pretty typical for a complete one with no serious problems. Add in boxes and other shipping material, and you can pretty easily double that with a high condition example.

If I were to spend big bucks for one, I'd want the white-glove courier service to deliver it and set it up :)

20. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I'd love to own a PowerMac G3 All in one. Those were the Macs I used in grade school.

Does anyone here on MR have one? Id love to see pics of the internals

21. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

I have one, the logic board is the same as the beige tower and desktop. I wouldn't try taking it apart as the plastic is getting brittle. Mine has a G4, 466 IIRC.

22. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Runs Leopard?

23. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

OS 9 last time I booted it, It may have some form of OS X installed.

24. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

OS X 10.2.8 is the last official version of OS X that can run on all the "old-world" ROM G3s however, Can these OWR Macs run Leopard with G4 upgrades?? Anyone know the answer to that?

25. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Yes, but it's not as easy as installing Leopard on an AGP-based G4. On AGP G4s with processors slower than 867mhz, you just have to "trick" the installer into bypassing the processor speed check(either through OF, modifying the installer, or using Leopard Assist to automatically do the OF changes). PCI-based G4s(rather factory or upgraded) have to have some extra kexts added to get them working-some come from Tiger, some from the Leopard WWDC preview(which ran on G3s), and some from another pre-release of Leopard. I'm still fighting with getting Leopard on my G4-upgraded B&W.

You'd be pretty seriously limited by the graphics in the AIO, also. At least with other a lot of other OWR PCI Macs, you can put in a Radeon 9200 and get at least decent performance in Leopard.