I just missed Bill Gates

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Bill Gates was a surprise guest lecturer at a Comp Science class at the UW yesterday. While I am not a comp sci guy, it would of been cool to sit in on a lecture like that. I feel bad for anyone who skipped class that day.

Link

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
What can the mr im not a programmer I dont write code or really do anything Gates tell you about Computer Science other than what his company does for it?

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Wait. The UW -- that would be Madison... since your location is the #1 party school?

And given who the speaker was, they probably didn't miss too much. Oh well, I don't mind him. Too bad he didn't give away free stuff to the class.

EDIT: Idiot Me. Click link. Badger Herald. Yup.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Sdashiki said:
What can the mr im not a programmer I dont write code or really do anything Gates tell you about Computer Science other than what his company does for it?
Uhh.... Unlike Steve Jobs, Bill Gates can write code (though I am well aware he didn't write any of the code that he is most famous for).

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Chaszmyr said:
Uhh.... Unlike Steve Jobs, Bill Gates can write code (though I am well aware he didn't write any of the code that he is most famous for).
Maybe, but I'm quite certain that he hasn't written a line of actual code since the 1970s, and he wrote precious little then either. In any case I wouldn't use the ability to write computer code to be the mark of a real technologist. I think we all know it's really all about ideas. By that measure, Bill can't hold a candle to Steve as a technologist.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Bill Gates is a businessman, and a damn good one. Proven, in capitalism, by him being the richest american (is he still?).

HE IS NOT a computer science, engineering etc person at all.

Why he, in his expertise, should be allowed to speak in front of tech nerds who know 100x more than him, is beyond me. Just because he OWNS M$ dont make him the authority on computer technologies.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Chaszmyr said:
Who do you think wrote the original game breakout then?
Hint: Woz wrote the other hallf.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Sdashiki said:
Bill Gates is a businessman, and a damn good one. Proven, in capitalism, by him being the richest american (is he still?).

Why he, in his expertise, should be allowed to speak in front of tech nerds who know 100x more than him, is beyond me. Just because he OWNS M$ dont make him the authority on computer technologies.
Cause people will listen to Bill Gates instead of a nerd who knows 100x then him. I know which one I would want to listen too ;)

jon

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Fine listen to that nasaly voice of his, listen with such intenseness that your ears bleed, eyes pop out and your mind explodes.

Id bring earplugs just so I wouldnt have to bear it.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Sdashiki said:

I'd argue that he's not much of a technologist, either. Have you ever (tried!) to read "The Road Ahead"?

He might be a good businessman, but so are lots of other people. They just aren't as lucky as Bill Gates has been.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off
IJ Reilly said:
I'd argue that he's not much of a technologist, either. Have you ever (tried!) to read "The Road Ahead"?

He might be a good businessman, but so are lots of other people. They just aren't as lucky as Bill Gates has been.
Gates made some savvy business moves at a critical juncture in the develoment of the home computer as a mainstream appliance. He had enough technical knowledge to guess that the computer could be big and enough business knowledge to believe he could cash in on it.

Right place, right time. Nothing more or less. Most people don't get those kinds of opportunities.

You could probably say much the same for Jobs, though he is more of an idea person and charismatic figure than a businessman.

watcher2001

macrumors 6502a
Next time may I suggest.

USMC M40A3

Caliber 7.62x51mm NATO (.308 Win)
Length 44.25" (1124mm)
Weight 16.5 lbs (7.5 kg)
Barrel Schneider Match Grade SS #7
Barrel Length 24 inches (610mm)
Trigger Weight 3 to 5 pounds
Magazine Capacity 5 rounds
Sight Unertl 10x with Mil-Dots and BDC
Stock McMillan Tactical A4
Max Effective Range 1000 yards (915 meters)
:)

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
watcher2001 said:
Oh come on, It was a little funny. And yes, it was meant as a joke, just like the "reload" comment from earlier in the thread.
Neither of them was funny or cute. I wonder what would happen if someone came in here and made a "joke" threat against Steve Jobs.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off
anonymous161 said:
I'd tell them to lead him a little to compensate for the "reality distortion field"
Ah, then you'd need a .50BMG rifle with DU armor-piercing ammo, otherwise the rounds would just bounce off the reality distortion field. Or Steve would channel his RDF and send the bullets flying towards Bill Gates.

Lord Blackadder said:
Ah, then you'd need a .50BMG rifle with DU armor-piercing ammo, otherwise the rounds would just bounce off the reality distortion field. Or Steve would channel his RDF and send the bullets flying towards Bill Gates.
I often anticipate the day when BushCo gets wind of this "reality distortion field"
and begins planning an invasion of Cupertino to "protect our freedom"