Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scwtonyo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
I just got a macbook pro (2.2ghz intel core 2 duo 4gb RAM 120gb HD)with everything from FCP suite, Adobe suite and much more. I bought it online and i didn't get the disc for these programs. Now that i've been using my mac and came to the conclusion that i need more hard drive space due to all my programs use most of the one i have in it now. I ordered the 320gb Scorpio WD3200BEVT from Western Digital.

Ok, I have some more questions.
how should i replace my new hard drive?

1) should i put the new one in a external case and then transfer all my stuff over?
a) If so will i need to format the new hard drive first?

2) should i take out my old hard drive replace it with the new one? Then put the old hd in a external case and transfer then?
a)If so will i lose anything by doing this first?

Please someone help me!!:(
Thanks in advance

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
1) should i put the new one in a external case and then transfer all my stuff over?
a) If so will i need to format the new hard drive first?

2) should i take out my old hard drive replace it with the new one? Then put the old hd in a external case and transfer then?
a)If so will i lose anything by doing this first?

Thanks in advance
Either of the methods should work, but I would go for option 1. I prefer option 1 because you will end up with both drives having the data on them before you switch the drives. If you accidently drop the old drive during the transfer and break it, you are still OK. With option 2 you would be buggered.

The new drive will need formatting before you clone the system over. Once you have done the data transfer, if you really want to, you could boot from the external to make sure all is well before you switch the disks over.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Hold the Option key down at boot time for a minute or so and you will be given the different choices of what volume to boiot from.

If you have a problem with transferring the application software, you'll be hooped because they are pirated. No CD & Serial = no license.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
How do i get it to boot from the new hard drive?

Sorry I'm new to some of this tech stuff. lol :D

If you mean how do you boot from the external, you can select it in System Preferences > Startup Disk

or

Hold down the Option key while rebooting and you should get the option to select which volume to boot from

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.