I just need to know how to do 1 thing....

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Cudadown, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Cudadown macrumors regular

Turn off that damn auto-correcting in the SMS chat. I am tired of sending texts that are nothing like what I intended to type. I realize I can click the little pop up word when it shows a suggested word but I watch the keyboard and know what I typed while typing it. I miss the popup suggestion most of the time and cursor correcting is a pain also.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.... How do I disable that?

2. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (my iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

No can do, unfortunately. Maybe if you hack it, but I can't think of an app that will do that off the top of my head.

3. touchyphone macrumors regular

I say congrats to Apple for teaching people how to spell again! Nothing more annoying than a text thats says "wud u kum out 2nite plz," speak properly and the text bubble wont bother you.

4. matperk macrumors 6502

That looks like proper english to me...

:p

5. Cudadown thread starter macrumors regular

Thats not the problem. I do not need a suggestion app that automatically changes the text on the fly. I am entirely able to correct my own typo's. The suggestions are not always right. See below for a few real world examples;

1. (to my wife) While your at CVS, grab my mess. Should have been "Meds"
    2. (friend at work) Want to have lunch at dennis? Should have been "Denny's"
    3. (friend at work) The girl went to see licking park. Should have been "Linkin Park"
    4. (to friend) I prefer I'd x. Instead of "OS X"

I think you might get the point now. You see, had the auto correct NOT fixed these things, they would have been perfectly fine the way I typed them. I don't think this is asking too damn much to have it as an option.

p.s. Though.. number 3 is pretty funny.

6. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

If I'm not mistaken, if you go back and correct those words, they will be added to the custom dictionary, and will be available in the future.

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

The thing I hate the most is how it changes "lol" to "LOL", which makes it seem much stronger than it is.

8. GT500 macrumors newbie

haha LOL. There I was thinking I was the only person that it hapens to. VERY frustrating, but auto correct is brilliant 98% of the time. Well done to apple I say!

9. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Ya..

does anyone know if theres a text file containing all the words or something? That way I can change the LOL's to lol's :)

10. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Yes you can!

On my phone, I can go to Settings -> General -> Keyboard and there is a switch there for "Enable Autocorrection". With that off you can make all the tiping misstakes you lik, lol.

11. rjohnstone macrumors 68030

rjohnstone

The only options I see are:
    Auto-Capitalization ON/OFF
    Enable Caps Lock ON/OFF
    "." Shortcut ON/OFF

No setting for Auto Correction.
    I would love to strangle that thing sometimes.

12. .adam macrumors regular

FANBOY ALERT, FANBOY ALERT!

Every heard of character saving? That's why 'text speak' evolved. Typing in text speak will save characters, allowing you to type more, for less. Correcting people's SMSs is ridiculous.

13. rayward macrumors 65816

For those of us that remember, "text speak" is just a reinvention of "telexese". However, most of the reason behind text speak is that it's hard to type letter on a number pad. Apple fixed that.

14. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Well I can anyway

Hmm, I didn't know I had something special, and I am not sure where it came from.

I am on 1.1.4 unlocked and jailbroken with iPlus 2.0b, BossPrefs installed. Maybe that's where the ability to turn it on and off came from.