Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordsion

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
Australia
I hear that it is quite good .... and i got it for $2400 *AUSTRALIAN* in comparison the 2.93 GHZ starts at $2999 and that only has 256 MB.
The 3.06 GHZ new gen starts at $3699.

What are peoples thoughts on this machine?

EDIT: i will give you my thoughts as well on the machine when i get it in 5-6 days hopefully.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I hear that it is quite good .... and i got it for $2400 *AUSTRALIAN* in comparison the 2.93 GHZ starts at $2999 and that only has 256 MB.

On the bright side it will not freeze....

Where did you order it from? I was after a imac for my Parents and did not want to pay the prices for new ones as they have sky rocketed.

Price looks good.

iStress

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I bought the same machine in December 2008 and let me tell you.....I'm one happy Mac convert :D

I bought mine for AUD$2787 (with edu discount) and when I look at the recently updated ones....I'm glad I bought mine earlier.

You will be 100% happy with your new Mac! It's one heck of a beast!

Congratulations!

PS. If you need more USB ports, get the Logitech USB hub (around $30 I think, it's the small black one), and you'll be set. Also get an external firewire HDD for Time Machine and external storage. If you can get a wireless mouse as well then you will no doubt be even happier :p

neversaynever

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2009
I also bought it a few days ago. pretty much no problems, after using hackintosh for long it seemed to me that I should after all buy a mac. I bought one and as I am familiar with the software, I have seen no problems so far. Unlike hackintosh the iMac is a robust piece of hardware, if you have any doubts. Only problem I have seen is that the screen is pretty much oversaturated, color consistency is simply inexistent. while it is pleasing to a standard eye for normal use, I need color consistency and will probably buy a colorimeter on my own to calibrate it. other than that only thing that could be a problem is 2gb ram only upgradeable to 4gb, but I have read that it allows 6gb if you use 667mhz rams instead of 800mhz ones. the performance loss downgrading to 667 mhz is negligible, but the 2gb gain is priceless. IMHO

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
I have mine for almost a year now. It's the best iMac I have ever owned, still I wish I can hook up a 24-inch LED Cinema Display.

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
I bought mine the day the new ones were released, and I also got it for $2400. I was waiting for months for the new iMacs, the price hike really put me off the new models.
The machine is great, but it is a good idea to up the RAM to 4GB, which I will be doing shortly.

lordsion

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
Australia
I bought mine the day the new ones were released, and I also got it for $2400. I was waiting for months for the new iMacs, the price hike really put me off the new models.
The machine is great, but it is a good idea to up the RAM to 4GB, which I will be doing shortly.

Oh wow was yours a refurb? because mine was - and i am sure everything will be OK , i am reassured about the 1 year warranty - i will buy Applecare however soon.

Yeah after months of debating i decided that the 2.93GHZ with the 4850 which would have cost me $3400 was just too expensive and with all the problems i was thrown off. I thought well for $1000 LESS i can get more GHZ, and everything else is about the same (when i update the RAM) excluding the 4850 but the 8800 GS will be fine for me, i only play games ever so often such as Crysis (low settings will be fine thank you) and Sims 2 + 3 later when it comes out.

It comes in a few days - i am excited and i am not phased that i will be getting 'less than what i wanted' cause i know the GHZ is more and everything else is not a big deal for me.

lordsion

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
Australia
So i guess the machine is quite fast ... being 3.06 GHZ?

my current PC is a 17 inch LCD, 2.20 GHZ AMD CPU (not a C2D obviously), a 512 ATI GPU of some sort (it plays Crysis only on low settings), 2 GB DDR1 RAM and a 320 GB HDD all with windows Vista Ulitmate 32 bit ....

so yeahhhhhhhhh this iMac will be a big improvement ... actually everything about it is an improvement over my current PC.

I built my PC about a couple of years ago. AND i have encountered so many issues o_o

Illicit

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Waterloo, ON

EDIT: i will give you my thoughts as well on the machine when i get it in 5-6 days hopefully.
Good deal. Be happy! :)

lordsion

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
Australia
On the bright side it will not freeze....

Where did you order it from? I was after a imac for my Parents and did not want to pay the prices for new ones as they have sky rocketed.

Price looks good.

Yeah that's why i didn't get a new gen 2.93 with 4850 ... freezing + PRICE (a bigger determent) cause now i can get a laptop for UNI and this machine for the same price than the 2.03 GHZ 4850 alone! yet i can get a bigger GHZ imac for $1000 less (than the 293 GHZ). Graphics card is good enough for me. Just occasional gaming.

lordsion

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
Australia
I bought the same machine in December 2008 and let me tell you.....I'm one happy Mac convert :D

I bought mine for AUD$2787 (with edu discount) and when I look at the recently updated ones....I'm glad I bought mine earlier.

You will be 100% happy with your new Mac! It's one heck of a beast!

Congratulations!

PS. If you need more USB ports, get the Logitech USB hub (around $30 I think, it's the small black one), and you'll be set. Also get an external firewire HDD for Time Machine and external storage. If you can get a wireless mouse as well then you will no doubt be even happier :p

Yep i ordered a LaCie RUGGED 500GB Firewire 800/400 USB2.0 MOBILE hardrive ..... it will be perfect for portability and time machine.

lordsion

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
Australia
I also bought it a few days ago. pretty much no problems, after using hackintosh for long it seemed to me that I should after all buy a mac. I bought one and as I am familiar with the software, I have seen no problems so far. Unlike hackintosh the iMac is a robust piece of hardware, if you have any doubts. Only problem I have seen is that the screen is pretty much oversaturated, color consistency is simply inexistent. while it is pleasing to a standard eye for normal use, I need color consistency and will probably buy a colorimeter on my own to calibrate it. other than that only thing that could be a problem is 2gb ram only upgradeable to 4gb, but I have read that it allows 6gb if you use 667mhz rams instead of 800mhz ones. the performance loss downgrading to 667 mhz is negligible, but the 2gb gain is priceless. IMHO

Yeah well i wanted a new computer due to my current one not being as 'robust' and stable as i would like it to be. Yeah the 4 GB RAM limit sucks but its fine, 4GB is enough for me - i don't do Pro stuff just occasional gaming (once or twice a month) and productivity UNI stuff.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
Yeah well i wanted a new computer due to my current one not being as 'robust' and stable as i would like it to be. Yeah the 4 GB RAM limit sucks but its fine, 4GB is enough for me - i don't do Pro stuff just occasional gaming (once or twice a month) and productivity UNI stuff.

...4GB of RAM really is a lot...how often do you page out your system?

kindablue09

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2009
Its a great machine, I just got mine a week ago.

However, I have suck red pixel mid screen as well as a dime sized circle at the bottom of the screen that turns magenta for some darker colors. I will be taking it in tomorrow to see if that will be fixed. Could you post if you have any screen defects with yours?

lordsion

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
Australia
Its a great machine, I just got mine a week ago.

However, I have suck red pixel mid screen as well as a dime sized circle at the bottom of the screen that turns magenta for some darker colors. I will be taking it in tomorrow to see if that will be fixed. Could you post if you have any screen defects with yours?

yep sure thing. I hope i don't, i rather a blemish on the case than anything on the screen!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.