I just ordered a Lacie Thunderbolt 2 LBD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FrankHahn, Apr 4, 2014.

1. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

I just placed an order for a Lacie Thunderbolt 2 Little Big Disk 1 TB SSD with B&H. It will be drop-shipped in 7-10 days. The price was $1135.91, $163.09 less than the listed price.

2. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

That is one sweet little drive for anyone with the latest MBP or a nMP, who also has a little extra cash on hand, so to speak. I'm assuming that's the lowest street-price you could find, and not a bad deal for new hardware that's barely been available for a month. Out of curiosity, are you planning to do 4K video editing with it?

Keep us posted if there's any objectionable fan noise. LaCie has had some problems with that, with previous versions of that LBD

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I had the 4TB version arrive DOA, but that wasn't Lacies' fault...UPS dropped the package and the drive was shot.....I just didn't have time to wait for a replacement, as they were out of stock, so will be interested to see how this one goes....The design is superb, but what count's is performance and reliability....And as posted that's been a little questionable lately.

4. Imaginator macrumors regular

Cool. Did you have anything to contribute to the conversation about performance, ease of use, etc? Or did you just want to post about the fact that you bought one? Seriously, just curious.

5. impedimentus macrumors newbie

Seagate TB SSD Solution

That's a lot of money to spend on a 1TB SSD with Thunderbolt. I use a Seagate Thunderbolt Adapter that is $80 at MicroCenter and a 1TB Samsung EVO SSD that costs $560. It's easy to remove and exchange SSDs in the Seagate. The only drawback is it has only one TB port.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/403199/Thunderbolt_Adapter_-_Portable

I also have the larger Seagate adapter with 2 TB ports.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/403429/Backup_Plus_Thunderbolt_Desktop_Adapter_STAE129

Very econmical way for cenvenient Thunderbolt SSD storage.

6. FrankHahn thread starter macrumors 6502a

I will first edit 96-hour 1080p video with subtitles on my to-be-delivered nMP (6C/16GB/1TB/D500). In the near future I will do some 4K videos.

----------

The purpose of my posting is to spread the fact that the price of this drive at B&H is below the suggested retail price.

I will post my experiences with it upon my using it for a short time.

----------

I want to have its high speed that cannot be reached by the first generation thunderbolt.

7. impedimentus macrumors newbie

Fair enough, enjoy your new purchase. I've always had good luck with B&H, a real First Class vendor.

8. Jcknows0 macrumors regular

Im thinking of selling my old one and my Pegasus J4 for a diskless Pegasus T2 R4, but the only place that sells them is Apple. That's a sweet price for that much pcie flash and I don't pay tax at B&H so I might consider it (need a lot of space though) and I wish they went with a smaller form factor.

9. FrankHahn thread starter macrumors 6502a

I also considered getting an empty Promise Pegasus2 R4 from Apple. But I eventually ordered an R6 12TB for higher speed and more storage space in Raid5.

10. jimthing macrumors 6502a

jimthing

I have two of the original TBolt 1 Pegasus R6's (I swapped-out each with 4TB HDDs, making 24TB; 20TB in R5 level). I can only tell you how sweet these machines are – and they are machines rather than simple external storage, as the controllers in them are very good quality, and their GUI is very easy to use, even for a simpleton such as myself!

The only thing is they are little noisy, hence why at the end of last year, I invested in a 10m optical Tbolt cable (from Corning) meaning I can store them well away from my Mac. I use them for storage (the second is backup of the first) rather than for large video editing projects many pro editors might use them for, as they work extremely well for storage as well – and outdo performance-wise any NAS's I've used (single/dual 1Gb ethernet vs. 10Gb Tbolt accounts for much of that, obviously). Being connected as DAS to an always-on 2012 SSD Mac Mini and it's full OS, means I get better functionalities than most NAS OS's offer too.

Another thing I've found, is when transferring multi-Gbytes of files over wi-fi from my MBP even on N-speed, the files seem to transfer over much much quicker than when wirelessly moving files to USB 3 external drives plugged into the Mini. I also have a simple 2x HDD 8TB WD My Book Tbolt 1 external too, and get similar results with that, so it must be the Tbolt connection that's having an effect. Presumably that's the power of much lower latency Tbolt over USB 3 in action, plus Tbolt seems much more stable than both UBS 3 and ethernet NAS.

From reading various forums, people often don't look at the technical smallprint when making judgements comparing Tbolt in comparison to other interfaces, which is a shame as they miss-out on its benefits (if they choose to pay the extra for it, of course).

Enjoy the Lacie SSD TB2 unit! Surely must fly along, though these small Lacie units are known in the past for their noise even though they're small units, so it'll be interesting to hear about on your review. :)

11. FrankHahn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks a lot for the information you provided. I will post on how I feel about the noise level of the LaCie TB2 LBD after I get it and use it for a short time. I will also see if I need to hide my R6 away from my desktop.

12. ShortArc macrumors member

My LaCie TB2 LBD 1TB SSD is virtually noiseless!

13. FrankHahn thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's good to hear of this. I hope that mine will also be noiseless!

I read that it has a double-cooling system: The aluminum body and the fan, with the fan controlled by a temperature sensor. If the temperature is below a certain threshold value, the fan won't kick in so that no noise comes from the fan in this situation and the drive is noiseless.

After I get mine, I would like to find out how much noise the fan will make when I copy 500G+ video onto it.