I just orederd my mac but i think i have a problem!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HazzFq, Oct 8, 2007.

1. HazzFq macrumors member

i ordered a macbook pro yesterday and i just realised that leopard is coming out near end of this month!

what do i do?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

1) Cancel the order
    2) Don't cancel the order

:D :D :D

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Cancel your order. This is major OS not just a bump. Im waiting also.

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

if you can cancel, then go ahead and do it. i guess it depends on your needs

5. HazzFq thread starter macrumors member

crap do i really have to be that drastic?

isn't there like a way they say if u ordered your mac after this date u can get a free upgrade?

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

They could give you a free upgrade or not, really there is np set rule about this. If you want just take your chances.

7. HazzFq thread starter macrumors member

no i don't want to take chances but i don't really want to wait till end of month before i can order it...

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

For previous OS versions they have offered free upgrades for anyone who ordered after the official announcement of the release date.

As yet we have not had the official announcement of the release date.

9. HazzFq thread starter macrumors member

Is there any email for the UK apple store i can use to ask?

i just looked and i found no emails :(

10. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Well if you need it now, keep the order.

The way some people talk you'd think tiger didn't work!!!

:mad:

11. gormond macrumors regular

I'm sure tiger works fine but i like the sound of the features in leopard and to same myself some cash I have also decided to wait a couple of weeks.

12. PowerbookWiiPro macrumors newbie

15 days

Since they are talking about releasing Leopard on Oct 26 you want to buy your new notebook within fifteen days of that release and they'll give you a copy. The reason is they figure you have fifteen days to return your computer, so if you buy it within fifteen days of the release you could just return it and get a new one with the new OS. This is what a salesman told me at an Apple store anyway.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Be very wary of "some guy" reports from Apple salespeople... I mean, not to challenge PowerbookWiiPro at all -- I'm sure he/she was told this. However, don't believe it unless you see it in writing. Besides which, you're working on a fair amount of logical leaping to conclude that we're within a 15 day window anyways. Probably, but not certainly.

I personally doubt I'd return the Mac, but I would also at this point be skeptical about getting Leopard for free.

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Canceling is an option if you're within the window of not taking a 10% hit on the order. If that time frame has come and gone, then it's better to stick with the order, because the fee for canceling will be more than a new copy of Leopard.
    You actually don't want Leopard right when it comes out. Give it six to eight weeks for it to become a seasoned OS, and then you can go out and buy it. Honestly, if I was you, I'd just keep the order.

15. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

How much will leopard go for you guys think? And is oct 26 the release date? or the announcement date?

16. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

well like you could see around the forums... the basic thought is that it will cost as much as the OS now does. Probably 129 for everyone and 69 for students.

17. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

eh... Jobs already confirmed the price at WWDC.. $129

18. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

Didn't Jobs also confirm leopard will start shipping on every new mac in January? if so would be more a case of how long are you willing to wait for the machine?

19. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

January just doesn't sound right. Maybe the second friday before Leopard release, that's when they will start preshipping. Every friday that passes is one less friday till Leopard Friday :)

20. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

21. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

I agree. Keep the order, because Tiger is a great operating system and you know it'll work out of the box.

22. mcmacmcmac macrumors member

How much of a hassle is the actual process of upgrading the OS? I was going to just wait for leopard but i wasn't aware it was cheaper with the education discount.

23. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I would wait anyway just incase the MacBook/ MacBook Pros are updated.

There are rumours…

24. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

:confused::confused::confused: You mean October?:confused::confused::confused:
    Maybe because it's October?

There are always rumors...it's somewhat pursuant to their definition. However, if the notebook is needed now or soon, waiting isn't the best option.

25. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Fine, but don't come crying to me when the Super Light, Super Small, Super Fast, Super Amazing next generation MacBook Pro is rolled out next month. ;)**

**This may or may not be true.