I just purchased my friends MacBook Pro, is AppleCare worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Swagged, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Swagged, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014

Swagged macrumors regular

I just purchased for $700 their MacBook Pro with a few scratches, no box, original wires:
    Processor 2.9ghz intel core i7
    Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD graphics 4000 512 MB Software OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)
    750GB of Space.
    No Retina Display, and apple warranty isn't up until May. Is AppleCare worth it, and can I extend the warranty after the AppleCare warranty expires, say, if nothing ever happened within the 3ys of the the first AppleCare warranty, if I get it? Also, are there any other insurance alternatives to AppleCare that one may consider?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If your MBPro is within 12 months from original sale, then you can add the AppleCare to extend that warranty for two more years to three years total.
    AppleCare cannot be purchased once you get past that first 12 months.
    AppleCare cannot be extended past the 3 years maximum, even if you never need it.

In the end, only you can decide if it's worth the cost.
    Keep in mind that just one repair covered under AppleCare can cover the cost of that AppleCare.
    And, one more thing - accidental damage, such as drops or liquid spills, are not covered under AppleCare.

3. headsUPpenny macrumors newbie

I've had 2 logic board replacements outside the first year

I spent 150 on the apple care and the replacements would be about 1800$ otherwise. So yes Imo with it

4. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

Normally I would say definitely yes however with the total cost of $700 it becomes a little harder to justify. It really comes down to rather or not you want you assume the risk of having a costly repair or not later down the road.

5. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Same here.. I had several repairs and when the logic board failed they replaced it with a refurbish mac. Cost of repairs its worth getting the Apple Care.