I just purchased my very first Mac today!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Jacoblee23, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

I am the proud new owner of a 11 inch Macbook Air. I am liking it so far, but am considering taking it back and paying the extra for the 13 inch. I seem a little cramped typing sometimes. Do you get used to it? I am overall loving it so far. It is going to take awhile to get used to something this different though. I am an iPhone and iPad user, but I am kind of lost on this. Any tips?

2. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

All MacBooks have the same size keyboard, the only difference between the 11 and 13inch is the Fn keys are a little thinner to accommodate the size.

3. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

The only difference between the computers is their screen size and battery life. The processor/graphics/keyboard/mics/speakers/trackpad are exactly the same. If you want a bigger screen or better battery life get a 13". Otherwise, you will not see any improvement.

4. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Welcome aboard Pilgrim! The 11" is a sweet machine!!!:cool:

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

If you're coming from Windows, this video is helpful: http://support.apple.com/kb/VI207

With regards to the 11" vs 13" keyboard, the keys are the same size (apart from function keys), so the difference between them isn't that great. Of course, you do get more space to rest your hands on the 13" though. How long do you have to return it? Maybe try it for a while and see if you get used to it.

Enjoy your new Mac!

6. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

If you are planning on using it as your primary machine with no external monitor, you may be better off exchanging for the 13. I would go back to the store and play with both models again and see if your initial instinct remains.

Also as previously stated, the wrist rest area and track pad are larger on the 13 so it gives the feeling that the keyboard is larger. You may prefer that extra space.

7. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Congrats on the new machine. Before returning it, consider a trip to your friendly local Apple dealer and compare the 2 machines side by side.

8. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I agree that you need to give it a little time. I had a 13" MBA for two years and went down to an 11" last summer. It took a couple days to get used to the smaller screen, but ever since then it's been true love. You might not think so, but the size/weight difference is very significant when you're traveling.

I made some changes to font sizes when I first got the 11" - Apple Mail was the biggest problem. The default size fonts were fine on the 13" screen but seemed really tiny on the 11. But there are preference setting to fix that. You can also use pinch/spread zooming in Safari and other programs as needed.

I also suggest that you move the dock to either the left or right side of the screen instead of the bottom - that lets you have a taller window but still keep the dock visible.

Congratulations on the new computer!

9. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Congrats!

Also just got an MBA 11 about a month ago and I have been kicking myself why I hadnt gotten one earlier for work/leisure.

I will never buy another iPad as this is just as easy to transport but way more operating power and makes me more efficient in actually getting things done versus coming back later once I am on a PC for the ipad.

You will get used to it. Took me a little time but I am flying on the keyboard now

10. Martin29 macrumors 6502

Martin29

11. THE JUICEMAN, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014

THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

I purchased my first Mac last week! It is an 11in Macbook Air as well and I love it. This is replacing my iPad Mini with Retina display. Like someone said it is nearly just as portable but you can do soooo much more.

I think a key difference that others have failed to mention here is that the 13" model has a larger trackpad. That is something that I immediately noticed when trying two side by side at the store. But the 11" trackpad still works great and I have gotten used to using it with no issue.

Congrats on your purchase and try this video, I found it very helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twf70Tl7piY

12. b3av3r macrumors regular

b3av3r

congrats on the new purchase

I am going to vote that you go play with a 13" MBA in the store. I find that it is the perfect size to make it super easy to transport and the extra screen space makes using it as a primary computer a breeze.

I have a 2012 MBA so I get about 7 hours of battery life out of it (email, web browsing, office) with my keyboard lights turned off and my monitor on 1 or 2. The newer ones should get a few more hours of life out of it.

Just a suggestion.

13. jdechko macrumors 68040

Agreed. The only change I made was in Safari. Reading Macrumors was just a little too small. Bumped the size up by 1pt and everything is much better now.

14. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Say what?

I switched from a Wintel and my experience was opposite, finding the Air's keyboard TOO SPREAD OUT!

Switching from anything will require a period of adjustment, but unless you are a senior citizen who can't learn any more tricks, you will be fine.

The only reason to go for a 13 is the screen size and slightly better battery.