I just saw a 2010 car ad?!?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by 63dot, Jun 28, 2009.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

WTF? It's not even July yet and here is Ford advertising their new hybrid car.

Nice car and nice ad, but isn't it a little premature to be advertising the 2010 models? Could this have something to do with the state of American cars in general these days?

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I'm pretty sure I saw a 2010 Chevy Volt ad...last year.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Historically, the US model year for sales begins in September for the next numbered year. Advertising beginning the last week of June gives them 60 days (roughly) to build anticipation in new models. Pretty standard, and the "state of the economy" won't have any bearing on it.

4. Yaris macrumors regular

So are they pronouncing it "oh-ten" or "ten" or "twenty-ten" or "two thousand-ten"?

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Presumably the OP is talking about the Ford Fusion Hybrid. It launched as a 2010 model back in March.

6. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Thanks for the answer. I just never remember the ads being so early. But a 60 day jump seems reasonable. Heck, look at the anticipation we have on Apple gear and software. ;)

7. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Exactly, you always need a decent period to let people learn about it and get the general idea into their minds (heck, I'm already waiting on the next model iPhone, or whatever model iPhone will be on Verizon, and that could be years from now).

8. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I liked the article on Verizon and iPhone in Macworld magazine.

It would be nice to have both AT&T and Verizon for the iPhone. The more carriers, the more potential customers for Apple Inc. We are neck in neck with the Blackberry and adding Verizon would make us the undisputed leader in phones.

Of course, we already rule the MP3 market and Apple could survive, and even thrive, just on three products (iPhone, iPod, iTunes). I am glad that we have computers, but the majority of the crowd at the four Apple stores I have seen are there for the iPhones and iPods, including my buddy who hates Macs but cannot live without an iPod. ;)

9. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

A vehicle can be called the next years model anytime after a certain date in January I believe. The Camaro is a 2010 model and it is on sale now. Back in '06 GM's new SUV's and trucks were launched in February 2006 as '07 MY. This isn't anything new.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^No, but that doesn't make it any less stupid, IMO.

The newly redesigned Mazda3, with the smiley-faced grille and the prettied-up rear, is sold in Canada as a 2010, and has been advertised as such since early 2009, maybe late 2008. :eek:

11. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Ford introduced its 1982 EXP models in April of 1981.

12. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

Sometimes new model cars are introduced early. The '02 Subaru WRX (first year the car was sold in the US) was released in March of '01.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

There are several 2010 models on sale now. Manufacturers jump the gun earlier and earlier every year. I bought a 2005 model in June 2004.

14. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

to quote the Blues Brothers when they are driving in/wrecking the mall...

"the new Oldsmobiles are in early this year"

15. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I believe the 2010 Honda insight has been available for quite some time now.

16. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I think they're going to call it "ten", but spell it "X", and although it's obvious that it should be said as "ten", people will call it "X" :p :rolleyes:

17. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I don't mean to tangent this thread with another discussion about the iPhone with other carriers (as we've all had enough of those), but do you happen to have a link to that article online, or know what issue it's in, because i couldn't find it after a few searches.

18. lag1090 macrumors 6502

The Chevy Volt is also a rather unique car for GM. They obviously want to build as much hype around it as possible in an attempt to improve their image.

Other cars aren't quite so unique.

19. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

Ford hopes to snag lots of interest and commitment on the part of prospective buyers really early on in the ramp up to the new model year sales. There could be a setback in the economic recovery in 2010 for awhile because of the lagging effect of recent unemployment on future purchasing potential, and the lag in new employment during any recovery.

See, if you already decided to get your new car, keep your debt situation in check so you can line up your car loan, you're gonna do it and then do all possible to keep making those payments, right? But if you haven't thought about what to get yet, haven't nailed down your new budget and figured how to make the loan go smoothly, and then your two-spouse income goes to one, well hey, it's probably way later for the car purchase... so that's what it's all about. Ford's saying hey get in line now while these babies are hot (and they're thinking yah and commit to the plan now before your wife loses her job).

20. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

It also depends on the manufacture. Honda models are pretty close to the calendar year they represent. IE you wont see a '10 until Nov/Dec

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree. Confusing and not needed.