I just sold my iphone... BUT????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by obakri, Jun 27, 2008.

1. obakri macrumors newbie

Will I still get the sub price for the 3g iphone??? Will they still consider me a current iphone owner??? I sold it so I can buy the new one. I activated another phone i had and will buy the 3g iphone on July 11th??? Please advise

2. calculus Guest

calculus

It might have been a tad more useful to find out the answer to this before selling it.

3. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

Nobody knows for sure yet, not even ATT. If it is sold already, just wait till the details are released. That is all you can do at this point.

4. GuyOnTheCouch22 macrumors member

just guessing but i would think they would just look at your plan and know you had the old iphone so you should be fine, but who knows since they are being so secretive about all this info.

worst case scenario you end up paying ~175 more for the phone, i dont see how the non subsidized priced could be more then that because otherwise people can just cancel the plan and resign up to get the subsidized price

5. KrAyZiE macrumors newbie

6. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Exactly. They still think you have the iPhone and you are still under it's plan so you are fine.

7. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Not true. Thy know exactly what phone you have.

So they know he no longer uses an iPhone. Yet they still might allow him to upgrade because of the plan.

Nobody is certain at this point, and I consider this a gray area at this point.

Anyone assuring others that this will happen need to be more careful. It is not guaranteed. The upgrade path is guranteed for iPhone OWNERS. That is all that has been said.

If you sold it, you are no longer an owner, so it will depend on how AT&T deals with it.

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

They don't know what phone he is using...

And also, you will be fine. As long as you made no changes to your contract, you are fine.

The people at the AT&T store look up the account, they see you have an iPhone plan, and it's that easy. They aren't going to look in the computer and say: Oh you have an iPhone plan, but SINCE YOU ARE PAYING FOR AN IPHONE PLAN, and not using the iPhone, you can't be upgraded! They don't care. Money is what cares.

9. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

Go to your Account Page on ATT and click on the "check upgrade availability" or something like that. And if it says that your eligible than you have nothing to worry about.

I sold my iPhone almost a month ago, but kept the plan and my old SIM etc.... and up until a few days ago it showed a date of 2009 for upgrade, but then a couple days ago it changed and I'm eligible.

I think you'll be all set.

10. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

As long as you are paying for an iPhone data plan, they really have no idea what phone you are really using. they just care about what you are paying for.

11. kvasir macrumors regular

I agree with the last statement. They don't care about anything but making money off of you.

BUT...they can tell what phone you are using. If you log in to my account after using another phone, that phone will show up. I've done it several times and it's almost instantly updated. I think they use the IMEI to identify the phone you are using.

12. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

It is simple enough, check your eligibility status online, but from what I can tell, if you did not change your contract, or switched back to your old phone, then you should be fine. But the easiest way is to check your status. But I would have found out this info before selling your old iPhone.

13. michlc88 macrumors member

I have had an iPhone since launch, and I recently sold it and removed the data plan from my account after I sold it. When i go to check my upgrade eligibility online, it says that my line is eligible for equipment discount pricing with a 2-year agreement. It has said that for the past few months. Just because I removed the iPhone data plan doesn't make me ineligible for the iPhone 3G. As long as it says your line is eligible, then you are fine. We paid a full, unsubsidized price for the first iPhone, so that is probably why I am eligible for an upgrade. I highly doubt Apple/AT&T will not let me get the iPhone 3G because I removed my data plan.

14. UnseenLlama macrumors 6502a

UnseenLlama

I was wondering about the data plan part. I've kept mine on because I use the data, even without the iPhone.

sold my phone the week before the new 3g was announced. I think i've gone through 4 other phones since then. need to get my phone fix in while I can. it's fun to go back to a "regular" phone after a year, but it makes your realize how clunky things are.