I just swapped out my boot drive - did I do it right?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by oban14, Apr 4, 2008.

1. oban14 macrumors 6502a

I had a difficult time finding a guide on how to do this, so I just tried to figure it out the best I could. I originally had a 320 gig standard drive called "Macintosh HD". I ordered one of those new 640 gig WD drives, and put it in slot 2.

I went into Disk Utility, went to "restore", and put my 320 gig as the source drive and the new partition on the 640 (which I also named "Macintosh HD") as the destination, and clicked "restore".

An hour or two goes by, and it says it's done. I turn off the mac, pull out the first drive (the 320) and it boots fine into the 640... I tested Mainstage, Safari, and basically everything seemed to be there. I changed the desktop background so I could tell them apart, put the 320 back in, and when I rebooted, it booted off the 320.

This time I went into System Preferences and changed the startup disk (I guess at this point I should have named the partition something different) and it booted up on the new 640 again.

I'd like to format the 320 but am terrified if I did this all correctly. I plan on using it for boot camp. None of the links I found suggested doing it this way, they all talked about third party utilities.

Anyone here care to help me out? Can I go and format that new drive safely? Is there something I can do to preserve the data (just in case) but take away the boot capability?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Sounds right. If you can boot with just the newer hard drive in, and the old drive out of the system, then you are good to go.