Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I'm scared crazy, but I am tired of the case and I wanna enjoy the look. Dear God if I drop this thing. Granted I have never dropped it with the case on. It's been in a case since day 1.

Shenaniganz08

Cancelled
Jan 26, 2010
I'm scared crazy, but I am tired of the case and I wanna enjoy the look. Dear God if I drop this thing. Granted I have never dropped it with the case on. It's been in a case since day 1.

SEARCH

there's like 2 similar threads on the first page

countrydweller

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
I put an Otter Box case on mine about a month ago because I was using it out in the rain. A few days after I put it on, I slipped on the ice, saw my iPhone go flying through the air(slow motion) and land on the concrete driveway. It slid down to the street. It survived without a scratch, I gues I'll keep the case on it.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
027299_17.jpg

Come on!!! Let's all do it! And bring your green hat!

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I have never had a case on neither of my iPhones (Orig and 3G). I have only dropped my 3G one time and it was on cement. Some scratches on the edge but no big deal. I just can't stand the thickness of most cases. I love the iPhone because it is so thin and fits nicely in my front pocket against my wallet.

One minor scratch from something I don't know what (keys I am guessing) on the glass. The back is uniformly covered in minor scratches, nothing major.

Naked is GOOOOD..

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
iPhones are very durable, dont worry about it. Ive dropped mine quite a bit.

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Every now and then I'll go naked. For like a day. Maybe half a day. Then I put my case back on because I get scared I'm going to drop it. I simply don't like scratches or any damages on a clean iPhone even though it can build character ;).

I also just want to keep a good resale value by keeping it in pristine condition like it is now. I've been debating if I want to keep it naked and just make sure not to drop it, does anyone know if keeping it in you're pockets and not dropping it will bring everyday use small scratches? If so are they minor?

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Every now and then I'll go naked. For like a day. Maybe half a day. Then I put my case back on because I get scared I'm going to drop it. I simply don't like scratches or any damages on a clean iPhone even though it can build character ;).

I also just want to keep a good resale value by keeping it in pristine condition like it is now. I've been debating if I want to keep it naked and just make sure not to drop it, does anyone know if keeping it in you're pockets and not dropping it will bring everyday use small scratches? If so are they minor?

You sound like me...I can not have a minor scratch knick or dent. I see nothing but that and it drives me crazy. That's why the case. Then I worry about resale value, too. Although, I got bashed for this in a thread before...during resale time....I take it to Apple and make up crap and get a replacement. Then I sell a crispy new iPhone...I have only done this twice. Once for each model change...here again in a few months. :D

patrickdunn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
You sound like me...I can not have a minor scratch knick or dent. I see nothing but that and it drives me crazy. That's why the case. Then I worry about resale value, too. Although, I got bashed for this in a thread before...during resale time....I take it to Apple and make up crap and get a replacement. Then I sell a crispy new iPhone...I have only done this twice. Once for each model change...here again in a few months. :D

People like you are the reason some with legitimate problems get turned away.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA

Doubtful...

The reason some legitimate problems get turned away is because people at the counters are not all the same person. I've read of lots of people getting their phones replaced because there were cracks forming in the corners of their phone, screens that weren't level, bezels coming up or batteries barely lasting a couple hours. I took mine in with these issues and the guy said it wasn't covered. He did not say, "I already gave Gix1k a phone so you're out."

Also, if you are saying that they have to be more strict BECAUSE people do what he did... then you're wrong again because if they WERE being more strict he wouldn't have gotten a replacement unless it was warranted.

Oh well. I'm still more or less happy with my 3G. As long as iCanHazJailbreak!

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008

Haha!! I knew it wouldn't be long. I have to disagree with you. I'd say you're a pushover and take that crap when you have a legitimate problem. There would be no way I'd leave that store with the same phone if there was a problem I was dealing with. No way! Right now, I have a hairline crack where the charger plugs in. I'll point that out along with it safe moding all the time. Then I'll make up a few other things to make my case that much worse.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I've been debating if I want to keep it naked and just make sure not to drop it, does anyone know if keeping it in you're pockets and not dropping it will bring everyday use small scratches? If so are they minor?

Yes, it will have the back, not the glass, scratched up. Nothing major mind you, just it will go from shiny new to dull. All depends if that bothers you or not. Obviously, it doesn't bother me.. I love my phone, but come on, it's a phone.

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
Once you drop your phone, face down, on the concrete, you'll become one of those people I laugh at when I see them in public... Using their iphones with a huge crack in the glass.

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Yes, it will have the back, not the glass, scratched up. Nothing major mind you, just it will go from shiny new to dull. All depends if that bothers you or not. Obviously, it doesn't bother me.. I love my phone, but come on, it's a phone.

you're right it is just a phone. Like that pic by the way, Calvin & Hobbes, gotta hands down be my favorite of comics.

pittpanthersfan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2009
I use a case, but not mainly for protection. With the iPhone's popularity, I just need to be able to quickly find mine on a table or desk covered in coworkers' iPhones.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Once you drop your phone, face down, on the concrete, you'll become one of those people I laugh at when I see them in public... Using their iphones with a huge crack in the glass.

Mine fell face down onto concrete... Still good. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.