I Just Took The Plunge

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zackwag, Sep 22, 2007.

1. zackwag macrumors newbie

I couldn't wait any longer, so I took the plunge and bought a mac pro. Here's the specs:

Both Bluetooth 2.0+EDR and AirPort Extreme
    iWork '08 preinstalled
    Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple wireless Mighty Mouse - U.S. English
    Two 16x SuperDrives
    Accessory kit
    Two 3.0GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    Mac OS X - U.S. English
    4GB (4 x 1GB)
    250GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI)

This is going to be my first Macintosh. Any tips :D?

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

That is a great system!

Hope you bought the ram elsewhere though, for a bit of saving :)

It will last you a long time.

3. bigbird macrumors 6502

Very nice choice. My tips are to get a copy of David Pogue's "The Missing Manual for OS X Tiger" from Amazon. That book explains everything you ever wanted to know about the OS in understandable detail. If you plan to update to the new OS 10.5 Leopard, which is due out in late October, then reserve that same book but about Leopard, not Tiger.

4. zackwag thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip. I was wondering what if anything I should read to get acclimated to OSX.

As for the RAM, while I could very easily order and install some from OWC, I decided to just spring for the RAM from Cupertino so it will work out of the box.

My hope is get VMWare Fusion running so I can just dedicate one of the processors and half the ram to the virtual session if I need to do some work (ASP.NET programming) at home.

5. tobytoby macrumors member

I bought a similar system - although 3.0 4-core - about a month ago. This was my first Mac for 10 years. I have to say there was a bit of an adjustment period from XP, but it was painless. I also bought Pogue's book before I got it and it was a good read, although I haven't really looked at it in the past couple of weeks.

6. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I am not sure if Fusion works that way.

Welcome to the Mac Pro Owners club - we're like 1000000 times cooler than the "waiting" club.

7. zackwag thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh. Well either way, the point is there should be enough resources for the Mac and virtualization to run well simultaneously.

We'll see in a week!

8. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Congrats on a great purchase ;)

As for tips, Spend as much time as you can on the beastie, it WILL take over your life.......

9. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Enjoy the Mac Pro!

I haven't pushed mine yet, its getting ridiculous!

These machines are beasts, despite the fact they haven't been updated in a LONG time.

10. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Damn. I feel like I should get one now too. My G4 is getting slower and slower by the minute. There is even a delay typing now. Do I wait til Tuesday to see if any magic happens? Or at least wait til Leopard? I will be pissed if I bought one now and a new one ships with Leopard.

11. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Tips:

1) Visit Versiontracker.com or macupdate.com daily to see all the new software you can run on it.

Enjoy it!

12. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

And when new MacPros come out? Will we be a billion times cooler than the Old MacPro Owners Club?

13. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

14. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

15. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

by the time you get your new MP's (sometime in 2008) we will be updating ours by the time yours are 12 months old making you the new old mac owners club, one big circle, yada yada yada
    We are all up there with beastie machines, all equal in our choices at least we are all looking down on those poor peecee owners with windows and that ever present error box in the middle of the screen,
    As mac users we should all live in peace ;)
    not pieces :( as most windows users machines end up.

16. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Nice man! Congrats. I love this machine.

You could've went the refurb route, I saw them going for $3,349 with 2GB of RAM and an ATI X1900...but oh well! I wish I could get the refurb so I could squeeze in a 30" ACD, because I paid $4,300 (Minus the RAM) in the first place...but it's all good.

Have fun with the Ferarri :D

17. n8mac macrumors 6502

O.T.
    Computers don't normally slow to the point where they can't keep up when you type these days if you keep them clean. And when I say clean I mean inside and out. I am typing this on a G4 400 and it is as fast as new. I make sure I delete stuff off the main hd to keep ample space open. I put in more ram so I never page. Plus I airhosed the interior. Lots of dust. We also have a new mouse, keyboard and Tiger making it feel new. Of course you could have seen a MP in action and now everything else feels like slow motion.

Now on topic, I am jealous of all you MP owners ;)

18. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Oops, I guess I forgot to mention I was running Final Cut Pro Renders, Photoshop, and Compressing a lot on it too at the time of typing. haha.

19. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

20. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I find myself wavering too. The 2.66 down at the store is looking awfully tempting.

I'm without a desktop and running everything off the MBP.

21. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

So no one thinks Apple will ship a new MacPro with Leopard? I still think they will. If not, I buy when Leopard comes out. Don't care anymore.

22. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Don't let Multi hear you say that. God, I hope he is right about an announcement by November.

23. bigbird macrumors 6502

Now that Apple today announced that Leopard will not run on anything G4 800 Mhz or lower, I'm waiting for a MP with Leopard installed. Even if an new MP is announced tomorrow, I'm waiting until it would ship with Leopard. With a PowerMac G4 733 and Imac G4 800, I can't buy and install Leopard anyways. Why pay an extra $100+ for Leopard when it will come included on my next MP.

24. giganten macrumors 6502a

I want a MP too. But i dont know if I should wait for Leopard or just use my laptop now, and get a MP 1 year from now or something.

25. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Well, we can only hope that there will be some really good confirmed news by then about a new MacPro. Then I would wait.