i just used JailbreakMe

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ap105, Jul 6, 2011.

1. ap105, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2011

ap105 macrumors regular

this is my first time jailbreaking. and used the new JailbreakMe.com 3.0 which worked amazingly great. i was surprised how easy it was. so my question is being a first time doing a jailbreak, what are some cool things to add via cydia? like change the network name(AT&T), and what other things can i do? and also how do you exactly use cydia?

oh also. is there a need to change passwords on some stuff? b/c of the hacking issue before. and also why isn't the MobileTerminal working? it installs then after i tap on it it open and crash's.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You should read the stickies in the iPhone Hacks forum and some of the threads pertaining to your questions, before you ask anything, since there is plenty more you'll want to know.

3. The Tos macrumors 6502a

I have had a jailbroken phone for over a year and am still finding new things to tweak on my phone. With all the devs and their new tweaks, its constantly getting better. Enjoy.

4. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

Winterboard for themes
    Sbs settings
    Gridlock to place your icons in any layout you wish
    Removebackground to kill all background apps

And read up in the Hack forums.:)

5. The Tos macrumors 6502a

Bitesms and Lockinfo are the two biggest reasons i am jailbroken.

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

There are repos on Cydia where you can get a MobileTerminal that is optimized for iOS 4.x.x. You probably downloaded the one for iOS 3.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

add the source

yourcydiarepo.org for a working Mobile Terminal

8. Aj2488 macrumors regular

Uh oh

Just used jailbreakme.com on my iphone 4 running 4.3.3 ... worked fine until I installed blocksms which crashed the iPhone and now the phone cannot get passed the apple logo screen and iTunes cannot recognize or restore it.... WHAT DO I DO?????

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

put it in DFU mode and start over!

10. Aj2488, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

Aj2488 macrumors regular

How do I do that? NVM... quick google search and there are all the steps, duh. iPhone is restoring right now... thanks for your help! I almost had a heart attack right then, I guess I shouldn't be one to mess around with the jailbreaking. Any reasons as to why it worked fine until after it finished installing BITE SMS?

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

Edit read this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1182931

12. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

There's a whole thread already not far below this one on issues specifically with jailbreakme and bite. Re-JB with a more reliable JB-tool such as Redsn0w, or wait for bite to come up with a fix.

13. Aj2488 macrumors regular

Gotcha! Thanks for the heads up :D

14. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Themes are really neat but can be buggy. If you have an iPhone 4, there are some really nice themes available that take advantage of the higher resolution screen.

Note: I do not use any themes.

To get you started, here are some Cydia apps and tweaks that I use:

BiteSMS (there are some problems with this with the jailbreakme.com jailbreak right now but otherwise it is a great app)

SBSettings brings up a menu of things you can toggle, much faster than going into the Settings menu that is native to iOS, especially when using Activator.

Activator is a tweak that allows you to map what your buttons do on the iPhone, as well as a bunch of other cool stuff.

One other thing: Do not speak of Installous, pirating, getting free apps, or anything of the like. Pirating is not tolerated here at MacRumors.

With that being said, welcome to jailbreaking! :D