Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greenyboy411

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
seriously, it may sound implausable right now, but just wait a couple of months. i'm sure apple knows how sad many edge iphone owners will be when the newer tech comes out. what's the solution for this? well, they could offer an upgrade plan (like, trade in your old one and get 3g for $200 or something) but wouldn't it be simple to just release a small, unobtrusive plugin on the bottom? sure, battery life would still be an issue, but since its detachable, you could choose when you use it. now i'm not sure about technical logistics, but from a business/costomer point of view, it makes perfect sense. everyone right now thinks they're gonna be screwed into either buying a new phone when they come out or feel burdened by old technology. its not apple's duty to release this at all. but if they did, wouldn't it make each and every buyer absolutely love the company?

just my 2 cents

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
I've been thinking about this and it could work. I had a bluetooth dongle for my motorola 400 which turned a non bluetooth phone into a bluetooth phone. The chip could be made to work with the EDGE so that it was only a 3G chip but could easily transition to the phone's edge when support was not available. I do not see Apple selling this, they would rather you spend $600 for a 3G iPhone.

DaffyDuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
seriously, it may sound implausable right now, but just wait a couple of months. i'm sure apple knows how sad many edge iphone owners will be when the newer tech comes out. what's the solution for this? well, they could offer an upgrade plan (like, trade in your old one and get 3g for $200 or something) but wouldn't it be simple to just release a small, unobtrusive plugin on the bottom? sure, battery life would still be an issue, but since its detachable, you could choose when you use it. now i'm not sure about technical logistics, but from a business/costomer point of view, it makes perfect sense. everyone right now thinks they're gonna be screwed into either buying a new phone when they come out or feel burdened by old technology. its not apple's duty to release this at all. but if they did, wouldn't it make each and every buyer absolutely love the company?

just my 2 cents

In the end, they are a company (and a publicly traded one at that) so their ultimate goal is to make money. They WANT you to want to buy the next model. I suppose it's possible for a 3G module to be released although I'm not sure if the dock connection can support something like that. I doubt Apple would spend time and money developing something like this.

rablat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2007
Classified NSA intel
what makes the iPhone any different than any
other phone released.
Motorola,Nokia,Sony Ericsson etc... Do not offer
anything when they release new models every other month.
Nor does apple need too.
Furthermore I guess apple owes eveyone some sort of a deal
on a new iPod and MacBook ever so often aswell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.