Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnc22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Atlanta
It was rubberized for good grip and protected the entire body, and was not gimmicky like the "Smart" Cover.

C'mon Apple!

Or does any other company make such a thing?

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I believe Griffin just came out with one and it's the same price. I saw it on one of the Mac websites, I just can't remember which one...

Cult of Mac reviews it.

Last edited:

icecrystal23

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
This Griffin one was available at Best Buy. It is sort of like the Apple iPad 1 case, but doesn't fit quite as nice. I am using it until the Scosche foldIO that I pre-ordered arrives. Hopefully that will be within the 30-day return period for this Griffin one.

Griffin Elan Folio Slim:
http://www.cultofmac.com/a-quick-look-at-griffins-elan-folio-slim-for-the-ipad-2/86054

Scosche foldIO P2:
http://www.scosche.com/consumer-tech/product/2119

The Scosche comes in black or white. I ordered it through Amazon at a decent discount.

iserian

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Palo Alto Apple Store
I'm using the pad one own case on one of my pad twos. Fits fine and no worries about blocking the crappy camera. Will replace with ipad two version when one is available.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Give it a couple months and you will have more cases to choose from than you wish. Wouldn't worry about it, some manufacturer out there will make a case like the original.

mdhwoods

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
yup, that's what i want also. Tried the ipad 1 case and just did not like how it fit. Power button and volume up/down tough to access, and head phone jack a tight fit. Hopefully someone comes out with one for the ipad2. I wish apple had.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
The issue with the aftermarket cases is that no one will be as tight or skinny as the original one. I don't think any aftermarket case for the ipad1 was quite as form fitting and svelte as the apple case. I've seen some of the previews on cases coming out for the ipad2 and out of a couple dozen I've seen so far none of them seem like they will have that same "tightness" the apple case had.

alan111

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
checkout the chinao on ebay.
I made a post about it in this forum. I had it for the ipad 1 and loved it much more than the oem apple case (which sucked terribly btw).

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
Keep an eye on Yoobao. They came up with the best clone of Apple's original iPad case, and I'd be surprised if they didn't come up with something similar to occupy the space Apple has vacated with their iPad 2 cover.

YoYoMa

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
That case looks like the perfect apple case clone but prob made with a better material. Something like this that used the magnetic on/off would be perfect

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
I agree with op 100%. The idiotic "smart case" is the most gimmicky thing I've ever used. There is no easy way to hold it. It easily comes detached. It offers no back protection. The low fold angle is too flat and the upright angle is like 85 degrees. One tap and it falls over. What a joke.

We need to start casegate and hope the news picks it up. The iPad 1 case was genius. :eek:

iserian

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Palo Alto Apple Store
Looks like it partially blocks the front camera. Also looks like just another cheap knockoff case, IMO.

Have you taken any pictures in anything but perfect light? I'm thinking blocking the front camera is a feature... based on the price they don't appear to charge extra for it. I would order it if it was available for prime.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Have you taken any pictures in anything but perfect light? I'm thinking blocking the front camera is a feature... based on the price they don't appear to charge extra for it. I would order it if it was available for prime.

Lol. It's useful for FaceTime. That's it.

Apple is saving the 5mp camera for the iPad 3. :rolleyes:

I don't really care about the cameras. I just want an exact replica of the iPad 1 case.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Returned my magnetic ripoff and went with an iPad 1 case.

It's loose and the cutouts aren't perfect. So far, I fixed the looseness by putting two foam pieces behind it (with speaker cutouts). Works great and I can hear audio just fine without poking holes in the case.

I'm good with this until there is a Apple iPad 1 case clone that's not junk.

Edit: In the second pic on the top right, all I did was reach under the iPad and tuck the padding underneath neatly. No bulk or anything. The back of the iPad case is soft and, well, great. The fit is tight.

The only issues are the cutouts which can easily be fixed with scissors or a razor. I can easily deal with that. Highly recommended if you like the iPad 1 case (which is perfect, IMO). Now I'm well-protected and don't have a flappy magnet cover opening in my bag every two seconds!

Attachments

• IMG_0162.JPG
    IMG_0162.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0163.JPG
    IMG_0163.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0167.JPG
    IMG_0167.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0168.JPG
    IMG_0168.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0169.JPG
    IMG_0169.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 71
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.