I just want to move media files

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MotorcycleBetty, Oct 10, 2008.

1. MotorcycleBetty macrumors member

MotorcycleBetty

Hello,

I've got files that are not in iTunes that I want to import to my new touch. How can I do this?

TIA

2. MotorcycleBetty thread starter macrumors member

MotorcycleBetty

OK, so 1) I should have an option to "enable disk use" (which would allow me to do what I am wanting) in the Summary tab of the iPod preferences pane within iTunes, but I don't. and 2) the iPod should appear in the Finder, and it doesn't, so I can't properly eject it. So what's up with this? I am in general having trouble getting my MBP to recognize hardware. I don't know, maybe it's related...

And if this gets resolved and I can move my media files onto the unit, will I be able to access them since they are not going to be in iTunes?

3. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

u cant. just simply cant.

disk use isnt an option with the touch its itunes or nothing.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Unlike other iPods, the Touch doesn't have disk mode. Even if it did, copying music files onto the iPod doesn't let you play them -- it didn't on the other iPods either. Only way to play music on iPods is to put them there through iTunes.

I believe what you want to do is to check "manage music manually." Then you can open iTunes and drag and drop music from your computer to your iPod when it shows up inside iTunes.

5. MotorcycleBetty thread starter macrumors member

MotorcycleBetty

6. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

You can copy movie files directly from the Finder to your iPod touch, without having to add them to your iTunes library first. Just find them and drag them onto your iPod Touch in the iTunes sidebar. As long as the video is iPod touch-compatible, it will copy directly to your Touch.

I'm not sure if that works with other media files as well.

7. MotorcycleBetty thread starter macrumors member

MotorcycleBetty

OK, I dragged the videos I wanted into the iPod frame in iTunes. They are all MP4s, but only ONE of them copied over. Why?

Next, I selected a picture folder to sync, and while it *says* it synced, and the space has been used on the iPod, no photos show up under photos. Why? Where are they? How can I find and view them?

And how can I delete files off the iPod?

8. MotorcycleBetty thread starter macrumors member

MotorcycleBetty

I've got it mostly figured out - by creating a separate library in iTunes just for the touch, the files I wanted to delete were deleted in the sync process, and the photos took care of themselves.

But I've still got mp4 files that refuse to go over. Why some and not others? What if I converted them to mov files? Will the touch read mov?

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You can easily move any files you want to view or play on the iPod Touch using the "Air Sharing" app from the App Store. It cost $6.99 U.S. but you can easily move files right from the Finder onto your iPod Touch wirelessly and it's fast. Well worth the money so you don't have to deal with iTunes requirements to view and play files.

10. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

The iPod touch supports the following video formats:

11. MotorcycleBetty thread starter macrumors member

MotorcycleBetty

Thanks. I also found spec info at apple.com. So it *should* be reading these mp4 files. I don't understand why it isn't. Would it be worth trying to covert them to mov? Or should I continue to pursue getting the files to read as is? Something has to be interfering...

12. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

One sure way to make your videos work on the iPod is to add them to iTunes (if you haven't already), select the ones which do not work, and chose 'Create iPod or iPhone version' from the 'Advanced' menu.

13. MotorcycleBetty thread starter macrumors member

MotorcycleBetty

Perfect! Thank you!