I keep getting electrocuted by my new iMac keyboard..

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cstromme, Sep 4, 2007.

1. cstromme macrumors regular

I'm not sure if't just static or if there's something not as it should be with it, but I keep getting electrocuted when I touch it. Happens at least 3 times a day now.

Anybody else experienced this?

2. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

It's far far more likely your shocking it.

The static charge is in your body ;)

USB isn't capable of delivering enough energy to shock you, and i very much doubt apple chose to use some sort of large capacitor just to make you jump :)

The only reason you shocking this keyboard, and not your old one, is the new one is metal and, of course, grounded.

3. shipdestroyer macrumors 6502

Maybe he types with his tongue?

4. abmet macrumors newbie

I purchased the new metal keyboard for my Mac Pro, and it shocks me all the time. Any solution to this?

5. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Don't wear socks on a carpet? It sounds like you're just discharging static.

6. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

Wear running shoes (for you, sneakers) and a diving suit. Or, before you go right up to your Mac, touch something metal first. It's unlikely that the static charge will jump from the keyboard to the computer, but you don't want to be the first person to watch that happen.

Proper ESD behaviour is key.

7. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Thankfully I'm not experiencing such a problem. When I first got my car however every single time I got out and touched the metal I would get shocked, eventually it stopped (thank god). It's probably something with your carpet or the material on your chair.

8. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

You're doing it to the keyboard, not the other way around. This happens to me if I wear socks in my dorm.

9. docprego macrumors 65816

This happens to me all the time and it is actually quite annoying and surprisingly uncomfortable when it occurs. I think it happens whether I have socks on or not.