I keep getting electrocuted by my new iMac keyboard..

cstromme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
I'm not sure if't just static or if there's something not as it should be with it, but I keep getting electrocuted when I touch it. Happens at least 3 times a day now.

Anybody else experienced this?

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
It's far far more likely your shocking it.

The static charge is in your body ;)

USB isn't capable of delivering enough energy to shock you, and i very much doubt apple chose to use some sort of large capacitor just to make you jump :)

The only reason you shocking this keyboard, and not your old one, is the new one is metal and, of course, grounded.

abmet

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2007
I purchased the new metal keyboard for my Mac Pro, and it shocks me all the time. Any solution to this?

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
Wear running shoes (for you, sneakers) and a diving suit. Or, before you go right up to your Mac, touch something metal first. It's unlikely that the static charge will jump from the keyboard to the computer, but you don't want to be the first person to watch that happen.

Proper ESD behaviour is key.

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
Thankfully I'm not experiencing such a problem. When I first got my car however every single time I got out and touched the metal I would get shocked, eventually it stopped (thank god). It's probably something with your carpet or the material on your chair.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I'm not sure if't just static or if there's something not as it should be with it, but I keep getting electrocuted when I touch it. Happens at least 3 times a day now.

Anybody else experienced this?
This happens to me all the time and it is actually quite annoying and surprisingly uncomfortable when it occurs. I think it happens whether I have socks on or not.