Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I was going to make a new thread, but I might as well post it here...

So I turn my BRAND NEW MBP on, and it says something like 145 gb total, 136 available.

What the hell? Is the OSX taking up 15 gigs? And what about the 9 gigs between total and available - whats happening to that?

So OS X and all of your apps are taking up 9 gigs.. your hard drive holds 145GB

iMacBook

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Down by the bay.
Then I won't bother. I'd like to be able to sleep whenever I want (safely).

Oh well. I guess we will never know why I keep loosing hard drive space. :(

triscuitbiscuit

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
It's also 145g because formatted hdds are never exactly what they are advertised as.
Also since storage is in base-2, the number reported does not always sync with the actual number. 1 gig is not 1000 megabytes exactly.

IBrown

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2007
Disk Inventory X

Someone told me about a tool, Disk Inventory X, which shows you where your hard disk space has gone.

I downloaded and installed it and it seems to work. I was surprised to find I had 60GB in Parallels virtual machine files!:eek:

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
I was surprised to find I had 60GB in Parallels virtual machine files!:eek:

If you had Parallels installed, that wouldn't be that surprising at all.

Explain what I should need/need to do.

You don't actually need/need to do anything. We've been trying to explain that what you're experiencing falls within the range of "fairly normal behavior" and is nothing to worry yourself about.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Then what is the point of running this "WhatSize" program?

To give you information that you might find interesting, or to help you track down a problem that is actually serious.

You asked what you "need" to do - you don't actually need to do anything.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Then what is the point of running this "WhatSize" program?

That or DiskInventoryX
So that you can identify which files are consuming all that space. If you find hidden log files that take up Gbs of space, you can usually delete those, and sometimes that points you in the direction of a specific program that either needs deleting and reinstalling or wants its logging turned off. Other times its temp files left over from a crash or an update.

WhatSize: Start the program, click on the icon of your hard disk and up pops a lost of folders on that disk sorted by size. Click on a folder and it shows the files in that folder, from largest to smallest.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Cocktail is fantastic.

Every 3am my MacBook Pro runs the Pilot function which clears all the logfiles and caches.

It's brilliant, keeps a few more gig free on the startup disk. ;)

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
I'm sure those logs and caches are huge. :rolleyes:

when you're doing as much video editing as me you seem to need all the space you can get. there's no point in dedicating even a gigabyte to logs when you don't have to - there have been times when on the road i needed to within 500mb (sometimes less) space on the disk while rendering.

yeah, i'm sure you lot who just listen to itunes and surf the web all day can deal with larger log files than i can.

hankolerd

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Seattle, WA
a 160Gb drive is rated assuming 1000mb/Gb instead of 1024, and 1000kb/mb instead of 1024, and so on. So a 160Gb should be according to my math 149Gb(which should be your available number) I must have missed one calculation though, because 149*1000/1024 = 145.5Gb
My 500Gb drive is actually 465Gb. Kinda sucks the way they name them. but oh well.:apple:

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Okay. So, earlier today I saw I had a 104.25GB on my hard drive disk.

I just now looked at it and it says 103.17GB.

How did it do that? I didn't install any huge programs. I am torrenting, but I haven't downloaded a 1GB today. What gives!?

Mines doing it too :eek:

I'm scared

*crying like a baby*

g-ram

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2007
Jax, FL
Note to self; download Disk Inventory X ASAP when getting a new MBP. And sleep with one eye open! Sheesh.

BTW Prof... nice quote from Adam. I love that show!

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I had this problem back when I was running Tiger. I was using the CS3 Beta, and noticed that at the beginning of the day, I had about 20GB free or so, then around 4pm, my mac told me that my startup disk was getting full. I had a mere 1.2GB free. And I hadn't really used my laptop for much that day at all.

Restarting fixed the issue, but then it happened again and again until I deleted the CS3 beta.

Then, about 2 weeks ago, when I was running the Leopard Beta, it happened again, this time when I was CarbonCopyCloning one drive to another. This was taking place just before I was upgrading to the full release anyway... so it didn't matter too much.

I'm just sort of glad that I am not the only person to experience this.

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
Over 100GB of free space and complaining about loosing 1GB? My 160GB HDD has less than 20GB free. It was under 2GB but I ran DiskInventoryX and discovered that I had a few video files hiding in there that I no longer needed for the editing project I was working on. Got rid of those and freed up like 30GB. I just need an external now so I can free up more space! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.