I killed my Keyboard! Need Parts!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Old Muley, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

This afternoon I decided to clean up the keys on my mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13" (MC374LL/A), and in the process I broke a number of the keys. I figured finding replacement keys would be no big deal, but that is proving to be a challenge. Individual keys are available for $4 to $9 each, with is crazy expensive.

In my searching I stumbled across a couple of listings for a product called "Apple KIT, KEYCAP, BLACK BACKLIT, VERSION D - 922-9277" which sounds to me like it might be what I need. Any information on how to obtain Apple parts? I really don't want to spend a ton of money buying individual keys, and I don't need the entire upper case replacement I've found on some sites.

2. Old Muley thread starter macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

Yeah, I saw those auctions and might consider picking one up. I just don't relish the idea of replacing the entire keyboard.

3. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

I can't be the only one who glanced quickly at this thread and thought it said:

"I killed my Keyboard! Need Pants!"

4. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

I don't blame you... having to unscrew and screw 60+ tiny screws? It is a pain in the ass, I've done it before on an HP laptop. Losing some of the screws in the assembly is also a given unless you have a real steady hand. Then again, I'm not a professional.

Here's a link with some information on what you found: http://www.scribd.com/doc/51818127/24/Keycap-Replacement

I'm sure you've already found this link, but in case you haven't, you can get the key caps for $40 http://www.impactcomputers.com/922-9277.html

Personally, I would replace the key caps instead of replacing the entire keyboard, because I would probably mess something up internally, but if you're handy, replacing the entire keyboard isn't a horrible idea either.

5. Old Muley thread starter macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

Thanks Jamesesesesess, I ordered a kit this morning from Impact Computers so we'll see how it works out. As I searched around I also found this part available from "Gainsaver", but from other threads here I know they are best avoided.

6. Old Muley thread starter macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

Dang!

I ordered the "in stock" part from Impact Computers two days ago, and yesterday I get a call from them saying it is out of stock, but they'd special order it for me for an extra $20 bucks. While I appreciate the customer service call, you'd think they would honor their posted price. Now I've got to find a different supplier.

7. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Makes you wonder what he did to kill the keyboard, eh?

8. dljeffery macrumors regular

Why not buy one of those eBay full keyboards, remove the keycaps you need and put them on your existing keyboard?

9. Old Muley thread starter macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

You read my mind, since I just did that a few moments ago. Hopefully it will work as I managed to find a youtube video that showed the correct and careful way to remove/install keys.

The whole "need PANTS" thing is funny and has given me chuckle. Had I managed to break more than I did, my pants would have definitely needed a good cleaning. :eek:

10. Old Muley thread starter macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

Success!

My eBay-sourced keyboard arrived today. Initially I was going to pop off the key caps and simply put them on my existing keyboard, but I discovered that wouldn't work. My MBP has(had) the "revision B" keyboard, and the one I received was a "revision A". This meant I couldn't swap out the keys, since the mechanics of the scissors springs is completely different. So I decided to dive in and with the help of ifixit I was able to replace the entire keyboard. Honestly, pulling my Macbook apart was a bit anxiety-producing but it worked. Probably the worst part was removing and installing the 50 or so micro-screws that hold the keyboard in place.