I know, another VMWare question, my purchase depends on this...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mac Rules, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Mac Rules macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

OK guys n girls,

I'm very excited about the upcoming Macworld, as I'm looking to get a nice shiny MBP when they're updated (please steve!). However, I'm in a bit of a quandry, my three main issues about moving from XP to Leopard concerns VMWare Fusion. I have recently purchased the full Microsoft Office 2007 on my PC and have a spare license for a portable computer, does anyone know if this will work in VMware and perform well on a MBP? Is it possible to have the programs just run from the dock? Secondly, will Windows Live messenger work also, and be compatible with the iSight cam? and lastly, and probably the most stupid, but will I have to purchase a new version of XP to get this all running?

Looking forward to your replys.

Cheers :eek:

2. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

1. VMware is pretty good at running smoothly. You'll need to boot two operating systems (for OS X, then Windows in VMware, but it doesn't take too long)
    2. VMware has a feature called 'unity' which makes the Windows OS integrate into the Mac OS. Running apps will be in the dock etc.
    3. Windows live messenger works fine with VMware - and so does the iSight.
    I thought it didn't at first, but you need to enable it in the Virtual Machine settings.
    Enabling the iSight for VMware means you can't use the iSight for any Mac apps until Windows has been shut down. Not too much of a problem.
    4. New XP will be required. But you only have to install it once for Bootcamp and VMware (use Bootcamp to install it, then VMware can run off the Bootcamp installation)

Remember you'll always have bootcamp - where you are running the REAL Windows so everything should work like it does in Windows. Office, Messenger, iSight etc.

3. Mac Rules thread starter macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

Could I use a CD recovery version of XP that came with my current Windows PC? Do I have to install it on Bootcamp for it to work? Finally, can anyone actually tell me if Office 2007 will run smoothly and be snappy?

Thanks for your help

Cheers

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Office 2007 will run snappy on just about any new computer these days.

As far as installing XP legally, you'll need a license for it, OEM from your old Dell won't cut it (and it probably won't be able to be activated). The easiest thing to do is to use a volume license copy if you have legal access to one, or buy XP off of newegg.

5. Mac Rules thread starter macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

Thanks for your replies people. I've done a little more research and discovered that ultimately installing XP or Vista under Bootcamp then getting Fusion to run from that is the best setup to cover all eventualities... Unfortunatley I have discovered a lisght problem; I've found no info on whther Fusion is compatible with Vista Home edition, only that it is compatible with ultimate and business, does anyone now from experience, as I might just put Vista on it instead of XP, I haven't decided.

Thanks again

6. Mac Rules thread starter macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

AFAIK, VMware fusion supports vista, 32 or 64 bit.

8. pokrface macrumors member