I know Flash sucks but will it ever be fixed?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sukanas, Mar 4, 2009.

1. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

this whole adobe flash lag is really bothering me. it just makes me sad that a computer that runs an awesome OS that costs me 2000k runs youtube slower than my friends old 400 dollar dell runs youtube a lot smoother.

will adobe ever rewrite their flash code for the mac os?

2. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

There's only one group of people that know the answer to that question:

Adobe.

We, unfortunately, do not. I will say, however, that if you've got a new Mac, Flash performance shouldn't be all that bad. Flash 10 isn't much of an improvement, but it does suck less than prior versions. You certainly shouldn't notice any major performance differences when just using YouTube for SD videos...

3. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

Flash sucks on Mac OS, Flash sucks on Linux, Flash sucks on IE8...I'm starting to see a pattern here. Performance notwithstanding, it seems like the majority of my browser crashes, on both Mac (Safari) and Win 7 (IE8), are related to Flash. Perhaps the 11th time is the charm for Adobe.

4. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Or perhaps websites should start presenting their videos in different formats. whats the advantage of having flash content for videos? do they take up less space on their server?

5. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Nope. "Flash video" isn't even a Flash-specific format -- it's often just H.264 in an FLV container.

It's a pretty poor idea IMHO. Sure, it means you don't have to worry about whether the user has a player that supports the codec you're using -- but if you used H.264/AAC in a normal wrapper, you'd actually have *better* compatibility than you would with Flash, as even folks without Flash (or folks on Linux who don't want to jump through the hoops) could play the video. Sigh...

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

It supposedly makes them more difficult for people to download and play. Which is a funny thing to do with videos that people make on their own to share freely.

Maybe it is a conspiracy with computer manufacturers paying off Adobe so they can push faster hardware.

I remember my old 466mhz G4 DA could play DVD's like they were nothing or have 10+ 320x240 Quicktime videos running sumultaneously. Now a single 240x180 Flash rapped video embedded in a web page can not run without skipping on an 800Mhz G4.

Now I now progress requires faster computing. But software performing the same function 8+ years down the road should be more streamlined and efficient. Not require more resources for the same function.

Honestly sites also need to stop using flash as a crutch for poor page layout.

7. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Flash sucks quite terribly on PowerPCs, but I haven't had a problem with it on any intel macs.

Flash shouldn't be used to push video, period, it's a terrible idea, no clue why it's used for steaming video.

I'm a Flash developer, so I keep my eye on Flash performance quite closely, if you're running a $2k intel system, there's no way you should be having any problems whatsoever. You can always try upgrading your version of Flash and see if that helps. Trust me, as a developer, the biggest question is always 'when is Adobe going to fix Flash?'

8. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I was having really bad lag and dropped frames on Youtube for the past week or so. I checked my version of Flash player, and it was 9.0

I went to download Flash 10, and a lot of the issues suddenly went away :)

9. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

10. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Amen! click2flash is the best thing since sliced bread, I use it everyday. I can't wait for Flash to die.