I know I know.... (MacBook Pro liquid spill)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chaihurts, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Chaihurts macrumors newbie

Okay....here is what happened.

I bought my Mac Book Pro 4 days after the last update of the Mac Book pro. Magic right?

I've had it for less then two weeks now and today I went to a production meeting at a coffee shop. Who can tell where this story is going?

Right so spilled something on my mac(chai). Unfortunately it spilled behind the mac and went right in the heat sink vents.I already read the Red Wine disaster and similar posts about what to do. I have all that information so no need to tell me to turn it off and let it dry. I know that.....

What I'm afraid of is my logic board is toast. Because it spilled and I picked my computer right up and got it out of there. At first I thought it was fine and it was in sleep mode. So I double hit the space bar and of course nothing.I turned it on its side and practically ripped the battery out and tried to get all the liquid out. If it completely shorted that means the logic board is shot right?

Since it has been fewer then two weeks I called my friend who works at the mac store and he told me that there was so kind of exchange you could do within a certain number of days on any mac product. You just have to bite the 10% restocking fee and thats it. He didn't sound very hopeful about any of it. He wasn't for sure about anything, he is more of a teacher there then one of the "mac geniuses".

My friend at the store may be my saving grace. It isn't what you know it's who you know right? Will the mac gods show mercy on me for my first apple offense? I have applecare but it clearly states they aren't going to cover it. My hope now is that I have luck on my side and I have some kind of store warranty since I bought it in the store.

If anyone knows anything about any of this let me know. I don't think I'll be turning it on again for a long while.

-CH

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Sorry, but the warranty doesn't cover accidental damage like that. It won't be taken back for restocking fee either. You're gonna have to pay to have it fixed, :(

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

youre out of luck....sorry about the situation

4. Chaihurts thread starter macrumors newbie

Bummer...well I guess we'll see what the damage is...I guess if nothing else I'll be able to post exactly how much a new logic board is in a new MBP...

5. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

****, that really is a bummer ... :(

If it does need a new logic board, it may be cheaper to replace rather than repair.

6. cujoe86 macrumors member

yep..I cracked my screen on my old iBook g4 and they were going to replace the screen for $900. I only paid $900 dollars for the entire computer brand new. Someone up there failed math class.

7. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I had a 12" iBook that required a logic board. We don't have an Apple store in Belfast (although we will have in about 3 months) but our local Apple approved repair centre wanted £700 for the logic board and £65 an hour labor, I didn't ask how many hours it was going to take .. :eek:

I bought another iBook on eBay for £250 ... :)

ps
    I sold it to a friend about two years ago and it's still going strong.. :)

8. JWest macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear that.

Just as a general rule to everyone, you should always keep your drinks AT LEAST 5 feet away from the computer at all times.

9. Apogee macrumors member

You can try to open it up, clean all signs of the red wine, and then send it back in for servicing.

10. Chaihurts thread starter macrumors newbie

In case anyone out there had wondered what happened. I took it in to the apple store and the guy knew right away that it was toast. The computer itself turned back on but it was painful to watch. The finder was gone and the harddrive didn't even show. Funny enough my desktop background was still around. So of course applecare doesn't cover that and there was no 30 day in store policy. So I'll just cut to the end of my story.

Logic boards are being replaced....total cost....$1,445.45. There goes my new camera....ugh I probably should have stuck with a desktop.

CH

11. macthille macrumors member

Ouch! Damn, I feel sorry for you.... That's really expensive.

I am very afraid of spilling something in my MBP after reading about it.
    So now I always have my mbp in on my neopren sleeve and the glass faaar away from it if I have to drink.. So if it spills and the liquid goes in the computers direction the sleeve may protect some..

Again, not fun to hear about your story...

12. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

$1500, holy crap. Takes note to never have my MacBook Pro near any sort of liquid... ever.

13. frogcat macrumors member

WOW, I wouldn't even bother paying that. Where do you live man?

Everywhere in my area MBPs sell for 1500 used on craigslist. And that's like a 2-4 week old machine.

I would rather buy a new machine and sell that broken one later on. Someone could fix that up themselves. Seriously though that is overpriced. My logic board on my 12" powerbook got all screwy so I sold it for a whopping $600 on craigslist. I bought a month old SR 2.2 ghz blackbook for 1000 after that.

14. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

Last week studying with my friends I spilled up 200cc of diet coke over my MBP. (diet coke doesnt have sugar, so its better than regular coke). Inmediatly I turned te computer off, removed the battery, and turned the computer upside down to remove the coke. Then, I went to ifixit.com, found the MBP dissassemby manual, and removed the top, (the keyboard is sealed agains liquids) So I got some distilled water, and used it to clean all the keyboard. Distilled water does nothing to computer parts, if everything is turned off to avoid short-cicuit.
    Open up your mac, is really easy, It wont void your warranty because you dont have to break anything. Get some descente Phillips Screwdrivers and Torx T6.
    Clean all the parts with distilled water and let dry. Not summerge them, but with cotton or a lens cloth. your computer is already wet, so you have to remove the coffe.

Good luck

15. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Sorry to hear that...You should be more careful with drinks....:(

16. bigp9998 macrumors regular

Well, at least you've learned your lesson (I hope). If anything these types of threads scare the crap out of people and make them think twice before they put a glass next to their computer...

17. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Paying $1500 for repiar after paying $2000+ 4 days ago!!!:eek:

Id be dead by now! (You do understand that you could've got a Mac Pro for that sum!)

18. beccajk macrumors newbie

wow my current laptop must be a beast compared to macs! ive spilled all sorts of shiz on it, around it, you name it.. and its still going strong.. i mean the lid of it is broken but im using it now as i type this.. i hope my macbook can withstand my abuse...

19. bigp9998 macrumors regular

You've spilled liquid IN the computer? Not like just on the case, but actually in it?

20. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

you all are saying some crazy prices for LCD's and logic boards

To replace an LCD in an ibook with a new original apple display we would charge around 350 for an lcd and half hour to an hour for labor. On ibooks it takes a good tech 5 to 10 minutes do that swap

The lobo shouldnt have been 1500. I would have priced that out to be 800 for lobo and no more than 200 for labor

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

These prices are Tiered flat rate prices, so it doesn't matter if you're fixing the maxed out Mac Pro or the minimal MacBook, the prices are the same.

22. Chaihurts thread starter macrumors newbie

I posted this forever ago. The horror story for this is that it took Apple 2 months to fix this computer. Oh and that didn't go without my complaining. I felt like a mother or something calling them every day to make sure they were still working on it. Said they didn't have a part or something. Every time I asked which part they said they didn't know. My faith in Apple has kind of diminished after all that. Either way, the computer works fine now. You'd never even know there was something wrong with it. I also have a strict, "No liquids within 10 feet rule". I also bought a protector for it, which was good because I am bad with nice things apparently. I never should have got a laptop. Next time an iMac or a tower.

23. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

2 months???With complaints???And they didn't know what part they wanted???

I hate them for doing this....This is ridiculous.You pay for a computer(which cost a lot) and you don't even have a good service.......:(

Shame on them....:(

24. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Did you look into getting your credit card to insure it. Some have some type of protection for the first 30-90 days, if you even used one.

I read these type of threads here from time to time and I only think that is one of the risks of having a laptop. I bought it for the convenience to bring it with me, so I could drink and be on it, so I could take it to places and drink in a bar, a coffee shop or wherever. If it ever happens, I won't be happy, but its one of the risks. Same with dropping it.

So what was the final cost?

25. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Uh, did you look into that? No credit card in the world offers insurance, nor do they cover accidental damage as far as I'm aware. You need a true insurance plan for that.