I know, I know.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jakobtheliar, Mar 25, 2008.

1. jakobtheliar macrumors newbie

I'm sorry I'm asking this. It's probably the standard question that's hated around here for being asked so much...but I'm desperate.

I have the means to buy whichever Macbook I'd prefer [save for Pro].

A lot of what I do is basic. Internet, iTunes, Word Processing, so on, so forth.

However, the thing that's got me all jumbled up is for my photography.
    I have many photos that will only continue to grow, and I will also be running Lightroom and Photoshop Elements.

I know that I do not want the standard white Macbook [one sans the dvd drive].

That leaves me with the "middle" White one and then the slightly more expensive Black one. The only difference that I initially see between the two [besides the price] is a 90gb increase in hard drive.

Is this something that will have an impact on my work and workflow?
    I think most everyone would prefer the most expensive one if they could but I know if that Macbook would not be the most beneficial, I'd be better off saving the money and going with the white 160gb hard drive.

Thanks, guys. :)

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

How about buying a refurb/second hand Pro, or a refurb/second hand Macbook and then upgrading the RAM and HD?

3. snapper64 macrumors regular

You could upgrade the white MacBooks hard drive to 250 GB through apple. Then all it comes down to is which colour you prefer, and if that is the black, whether or not your are prepared to pay extra for it.

4. themanfromvlad macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

The base Macbook has a DVD drive, it just can't burn DVDs. Big difference, many people don't need to burn 4.3 GB of data at once. Maybe that's what you meant, but wanted to clarify in case you didn't.

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

It's not just data that you would want to burn to a DVD, it's media (as in movies to play on a DVD player). I couldn't ever buy a computer that didn't burn DVD's now.

6. jakobtheliar thread starter macrumors newbie

Lots to think about.

I know I'm probably making this harder for myself, but I'm pretty set on getting a new one [or, one that hasn't been refurbished] and as it is.

I'm computer illiterate for the most part, and I think adding or doing any extra things to it would just boggle my mind.

I guess what it ultimately comes down to is:

Will the extra space provided with the most expensive/black Macbook be a better choice because of what I intend to do on it, OR, will the white one suffice?

7. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

I definitely wouldn't rule out the possibility of buying a refurbished MacBook Pro, there are some great deals on the Apple site these days.

I never considered buying anything refurbished until I saw a really good deal on the Apple TV a couple of months ago - I bought it and it's been perfect....so far :).

I bought a MacBook just after Christmas and I love it - but if I was buying now I'd definitely go for a refurbished MacBook Pro.

8. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I'm really considering getting a blackbook as soon as I save enough money. I would say, like others, maybe a refurb MBP, or a new blackbook. I love the black color, but thats just me and you also do get a little more hd space. I'd say the blackbook.

9. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

New 'refurbs'

The UK Apple Online store is clearing November'07 Santa Rosa 2.2 Black Books @ 31% discount. Only 160 G hard drive, but tremendous price. The 'reality' [likelyhood] is that you'll buy a 500 or 1 TB external hard drive to take full advantage of Time Machine, so I don't think the MacBook's hard drive space is such an issue. The processor is the previous generation, but with 25% more L2 cache the benchmarks I've heard of so far haven't been very different. Wikipedia shows the Intel SR chipset as upgradeable to Penryn anyhow [although you might not want to try this yourself at home].