i know i'm being picky but...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by kha, Mar 7, 2008.

1. kha macrumors member

i just got my very first apple. very proud of myself of finally doing the switch!

anyhow, i loaded boot camp with XP pro (20 gb partition NTFS) just for a few games i play and i see a few problems that bother the hell out of me.

1. on the C:/ drive there are two folder that wont delete.. what is weird is that i accidently moved one into another. they were named weird numbers+letters (ie: 33j423j432b4j3bj3432k423) anyhow everytime i try to delete them i get an ACCESS DENIED. does anyone know how to delete them.

2. when i boot into OSX i see a drive "untitled" whats with that? and why is it there everytime?

thanks a bunch!

2. kha thread starter macrumors member

kinda of fixed #2 with the untitled. I booted into Windows and went to My Computer > right clicked C: drive and renamed it ".Windows" without the quotes of course. I believe by naming it with a period in the beginning allowed it NOT to show up on the desktop of OSX but rather only in the Macintoch HD drive where it appears normally as a mounted drive. This doesnt bother me much.

as far as trying to delete those folders.. i am still in dying need to rid it.

help help!

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I get these same folders with weird names on my C: drive on my Boot Camp partition. You're not meant to delete them - Windows created them to store something, though I'm not sure what.

4. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

if you formatted the windows partition as fat32 then you can go into the untitled folder to retrieve files from windows.

5. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

You can do the same with NTFS drives. You just can't write to NTFS drives without some NTFS driver upgrade.

6. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i thought you could only view what was on an ntfs

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Nope,try googling macfuse or paragon

8. kha thread starter macrumors member

but they have like weightless data? i saw a setup.exe in there that weighed nothing?

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is normal - if you don't have permission to view a folder it will show its contents as being zero size.

10. kha thread starter macrumors member

interesting.. i never knew that.. my goal now is to delete them :D

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

On Vista you just have to change the folder permissions and then you can delete them... I didn't see them in XP.

They're left over install files from when you installed the bootcamp drivers.. they can safely be deleted. and all this.. I'm not 100% sure, I just know I deleted them without any issues.