Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
No one in their right mind is going to use ATT's International 3G plan. You are going to go buy a prepaid data SIM when you arrive at whatever country.

Now wouldn't it be cool if every single one of Apple's data partners plans could be accessed directly from the iPad as easily as ATTs? Go to London, stop by an O2 or Apple store, pick up a microSIM, pop it in your iPad, pick your plan from your iPad, and good to go. Your CC is billed for the plan so no worries. Move on to France, same deal, etc, etc.

Even better... you could pick up foreign SIMs in the US at any Apple Store so you didn't even need to track one down when you arrived.

If life were so uncomplicated like that.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Since we are dreaming, why not use the same sim worldwide, and when you got to new country you could pick a provider and a plan right from the iPad?

Sweet. :D

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
even better, how about more reasonable roaming rates? Skype manages to make intl calls cheap, why not the carriers?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
No one in their right mind is going to use ATT's International 3G plan. You are going to go buy a prepaid data SIM when you arrive at whatever country.

Actually I added added another line to my premier account and have an unlimited international roaming plan for the iPad now. Works great.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Actually I added added another line to my premier account and have an unlimited international roaming plan for the iPad now. Works great.

Works great sure, but hella expensive. (and by expensive I mean massively overpriced -- though most of that is taxes and royalties ATT has to pay the host country and carrier). My idea is that you can pick up a SIM of a native carrier and pay non-roaming rates just like everyone else in the country. You can still do this, but it's more hassle. This just simplifies everything.

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
Wait, I thought that the iPad was unlocked.
Therefore, if I am in the US (from Canada)... can't I just pop in an ATT mico-sim and get data? Or O2 in the UK, etc?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.