I know it can be done...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jakfrost, Mar 30, 2008.

1. jakfrost macrumors member

Two issues:

1. The most important question first, with 3 small children under the age of 6 it is important that once they are in bed and asleep, ( than you God...), they not be awakened by the audio splash whenever I turn on my mac pro. I have turned down, muted, covered the speakers with duct tape...there must be a way to eliminate that annoying audio opening chime.

2. I am the first amongst my peers to take the plunge into 'Mac World' and having discovered the fun and adventure? of video chatting with other Mac users using iChat and my .Mac account...I would like to help my poor PC neighbors into the world of 'video chat'. iChat is supposed to be compatible with 'AIM' but I can't find the right combination yet. I have searched this site, had my PC friends download the older version ( 5.9.xxxx ) of AIM, the newest version, ( 6.5.xxx) and every version inbetween. Had them remove the routers, connect directly to the DSL modems, upgrade their service for greater bandwith...you name it I think we have tried it.
    With the older version of AIM there is no 'video' icon displayed at the bottom of the buddies list, with the newer version there is but whenever I try to invite them and they click on 'accept' it shows they have 'timed out' at their end, and 'did not accept' at my end. Sometimes there is a 'communication error' dialoge box at my end, sometimes not.

I am sure someone has figured out how to do this. Could you share a tip or two?

Thanks,

Jim W.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

1. Startupsound Pref Pane

2. Can't help you with that, sorry

PS Been there with the kids. All three are happy Mac users now. :)

3. notnek macrumors 6502

notnek

I've video chatted with AIM users. They were using the latest version of AIM 6. The only drawback I've found is AIM users can't conference chat like us iChatters! :cool:

4. jakfrost thread starter macrumors member

Thanks 'flopticalcube'...works like a charm. No more smutherin the 'puter with a pillow when I start it up :D.

And 'notnek', well, thats what I'm saying...everyone I ask, including the 'geek squad' at the local electronics store say the same thing.
    Duh, just click on the little camera icon thingy dude...Well I clicked until the 'clicker' quit and still can't quite get it to connect. The camera comes on at both ends, video is working...just not connecting.

So I am missing some little piece of the puzzle :mad::confused::mad:.

Anyone had any experience with snags in the otherwise seemingly smooth road to video chat, Mac to PC...i.e. iChat to AIM???

Jim W.

5. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

1) Don't turn it off, sleep it. I never turn mine off.
    2) Can't help, I'm only iChatting with Mac users, But if you find the solution, please post it. I'm hoping I can convince my son to buy a camera and set up video chatting, and he's using Windows.

6. jakfrost thread starter macrumors member

Will do Batt...I'm sure there is a solution out there, just a matter of getting the ducks lined up.
    I can't 'sleep' the MBP when I'm on the road, the battery would probably die, not to mention the HD :(.

Jim

7. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

both macs and pc download skype!

Now PC and Mac users can video chat with each other over Skype!

This is the easiest solution same program running on macs or pcs

--Eric

8. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

Hold down F7 before turning it on. This will turn off the sound for that startup.

9. soms macrumors 6502

soms

#2: I had the same problems trying to vid chat with PC users on AIM and finally gave up and switched to using SightSpeed until iChat/AIM is fixed.

10. jakfrost thread starter macrumors member

Quoting myself...after reading some more background on the Mac vs PC when it comes to 'sleep' mode, seems I could simply 'sleep' the MBP by closing the cover, drop it in the shoulder case and hit the road with no worries. For days even.
    Not so with the PC laptops I've been using for years. There was so much crap running in the background most of the time I wouldn't make it to the check in line before it would crap out if I didn't shut it down.
    Just another one of those pleasant surprises in the learning curve of Mac life...

Skype eh? I thought you had to pay for that usage...or is that just the phone service?

Jim

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Nah it's free for IM, video and voice. You just pay for VOIP when calling regular phones.

12. McGiord, Mar 31, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

2: use skype

I also prefer to use skype with my nonMac contacts.
    ________
    website design

13. johndoe588 macrumors regular

Now that's good to know. I'll have to give Skype a try. I also have not been able to figure out how to video chat with AOL/AIM using friends.

John B.