I know it has been asked, just need your opinion.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tacomahunter, Apr 7, 2012.

1. tacomahunter macrumors regular

tacomahunter

I have a 2011 MBP with 2.2 I7 15" HD display and 8 gigs of ram installed and 500 gig HD. I have had it for a year and looking to move to a MBA. I have an opportunity to get 13" MBA I7 1.8 256gb HD that was purchased in November. This would be a straight up trade and for me the MBA will be a better fit as the IPAD is the tool I use most of the time when I am on the web, getting email etc.
    So what are your thoughts about the trade? Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

2. Medic278, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012

Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Its a terrible trade. You are losing out. That being said if you really want then MBa then by all means go for it. I have both and have to say that I much prefer my MBP to my MBA. The MBA is nice and all, and if all you do is email, web surfing and general light use then you should be good. The big hang up for me is the fact that there is no optical drive, and the RAM is non upgradeable. The fact that it has an HDD as opposed to an SSD kind of sucks, you won't see the difference in speed you would with an SSD. 256 GB is also a relatively small HDD. My MBA has the 128 and I am forever transferring files off it to keep some space available. you also have a better processor so your going to lose some performance there as well. All in all its just not that good of a deal. If you mainly use your iPad, I don't really see why you even want an Air, but I would not take the deal your MBP is pretty well loaded and from what it sounds the MBA is not, your getting ripped off. If you really want to take the deal, have the guy/girl with the MBA throw up some cash too.

3. antonis macrumors 68000

antonis

There is no i7 MBA with regular HD. It is a SSD for sure.

4. Bigredhawkeye macrumors member

Hey if that trade falls through I call first dibs on trading you my MBA for your MBP! :D

5. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I would do the trade unlike the others. A 15" MBP to me is just an absolute ton of bricks to carry around. I wouldn't need that much screen real estate and I would much prefer the smaller MBA form factor.

So long as you're OK with the limitations of the MBA, I don't know why you wouldn't go for it.

6. bogatyr macrumors 65816

They're about the same price new, seems like a fair trade to me if you're looking for an air.

7. Kendo macrumors 68000

Terrible trade based on price alone. The OP's MacBook Pro is $400 more expensive when you factor in the high-res display and 4GB extra RAM. The base 15" is already $1799 while the high-end Air is $1599.

I wouldn't make the trade unless he kicks in a sweetener like extra cash.

8. aph3x macrumors member

Keep your MBP and invest in a 256GB+ SSD for it. I wouldn't trade out what you have for it as the High Res display and RAM make it a better machine.

That said however, I was happy to move from my '09 MBP (with a 256GB SSD) to my '11 i7 MBA. I didn't have the high res display on it so the picture actually looks better on my Air. Plus I love the fact that the air is truly portable and that I don't have to carry a charger on me all the time.

9. shadowjeff macrumors regular

That is a bad trade, you should keep your mbp. And you mentioned that you have an iPad that you use for web surfing and all the light stuff. I guess if you have an iPad, you won't be bringing the mba around?

mbp+ipad=good combo
    mba+ipad=bad combo

10. tacomahunter thread starter macrumors regular

tacomahunter

Thank you all VERY MUCH for the feedback! Because of all of you sharing the thoughts, I cancelled the trade unless he would kick in $300 extra.. He declined.. Living with my MBP..