I know it's a little early to speculate..

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by w.t.f, Nov 13, 2007.

1. w.t.f macrumors newbie

Or, really early. But for next gen touches, what kind of capacity do you think they will have? I want one but want more storage. Maybee 16 & 32, or 32 & 64?

2. dantherevelator macrumors regular

I think that kind (64gb) of storage would probably still be prohibitively expensive by the time the first revision rolls around, no?

3. w.t.f thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, probally. I'd be happy enough with 32. Think that's still too big?

4. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

32 sounds about right

Apple likes doubling the capacity of iPods with revisions.

5. evillageprowler macrumors regular

not speculation but just a wishlist item...

It would be nice if someday we can buy an attachment to the IPT that will allow us to use a cellular wireless data plan - similar to a plug-in adapter for a laptop to use AT&T's or Verizon's cellular network...

EVP

6. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

Traditionally, how many years before the "next revision" for iPods? A year? 18 months?

I'm not sure I can wait that long!!!

7. penguinpaul macrumors member

penguinpaul

I don't think it will be too long before Apple intruduce a 1TB iPod, maybe in a classic

8. cwolves macrumors regular

You can count on 32GB. 64GB is doubtful in my opinion unless the launch is Q1 2009 or later. They might also jump to even numbers to match the iPod classic line: 20GB and 40GB touch. People don't like numbers like 64 and 128. I doubt much else will be changed hardware wise.

9. gowanis macrumors 6502

Sounds like you need an iPhone. I also wanted an iPhone but got the Touch instead and kept my Treo 700w with Verizon. the AT&T Network is just horrible for both voice and data. Wi-Fi is useless to me because I need internet on my train commute, so I just use my Treo, but I wish I could use the Safari browser because its much better than the tiny square Treo screen.

I wish Apple would offer a cheaper "data-only" plan with no commitments.

10. evillageprowler macrumors regular

Sigh... What I need is something that doesn't actually exist. I need the cellular+bluetooth wireless capability of the iPhone coupled with the 16G of the IPT. I'm very happy with my free Nokia phone - bluetooth, decent camera/video and mp3 player and is very compact. A general-purpose mail client with support for both POP3 and IMAP would be nice, but I can just as easily use a web browser.

When AAPL comes out with an iPhone that is 16G (or bigger), then I'll probably be pretty happy.

EVP

11. r21hugo macrumors member

r21hugo

this sounds so insane, yet it's completely true, better music/video/image quality= larger files, not before too long 160 gig will be the standard, I give it 5 years and we will see 1 TB iPods.... Still so INSANE!

12. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

I played with a Touch in the Apple Store yesterday for the very first time. I must say that I now *really* want one! Using the web browser was much cooler than I expected and I could see using it for quick surfing while traveling or even around the house.

I'm also interested in the timing of an upgrade to 32GB. $400 is lots of money for a purely optional toy (my 6GB Mini is still chugging along) and I can see that holding a little library of H.264 rips at 800MB each would eat space pretty quickly on the 16GB. 16GB would almost work for me, as I keep about 2-4GB of podcasts at any time (most important) and my music lib is only 10.5GB (can live with a partial lib on the iPod), but between those two, there's nearly nothing left for any movies.

I'd hate to spend the $400 and have them introduce a 32GB at $400 and drop the 16GB to the $300 price point very soon after I finally pull the trigger and buy one. Any chance they'd do this restructuring before xmas or is that more likely a Q1 2008 thing?

Mike

13. cwolves macrumors regular

5 years? Are you kidding me? The FIRST iPod that came out about 6 years ago was 5GB. We've had 80GB at the 5 year mark, so that's a 16x increase.

5 years from now we should have 2.5TB iPods based on this. My best guess is 1TB iPods in 2009 at some point and then possibly an indefinite halt as they try to phase out hard drives completely. I'd bet on 1TB flash players in 5 years.

14. penguinpaul macrumors member

penguinpaul

Nah, not flash. They want to make flash storage for laptops, but theyre nowhere near 1TB

15. penguinpaul macrumors member

penguinpaul

and anyway, do you have 1TB of music???? I know I don't...

16. phoxrenvatio macrumors regular

have you ever heard of a little thing called video?
    one feature length (iPod compressed) movie is somewhere between 700mb and 2gb..... i have 184 of those movies, and 40gb of music, then you also figure in music videos, tv shows, podcasts..... 1tb of memory looks awfully nice....

Attached Files:

17. Darkjenso macrumors regular

18. nlivo macrumors 6502a

with that sort of collection i would be angry if you didn't have an appletv!! Haha. Nah, very nice collection. And here I was thinking I was tough with 120 movies. Haha.

32 gb touch will be coming soon in my opinion. Maybe the anniversary of the iPod touch they will change the specs to 16 and 32 gb.

I don't know about 1 tb iPod classics (or were you joking). The max I reckon they will get to would be 500gb.

19. cwolves macrumors regular

Why? Hard-drives, on average, double in capacity EVERY YEAR. We're at 32GB flash drives now. 5 years = 1 TB.

20. phoxrenvatio macrumors regular

idk, tb ipods would be cool, but i wish apple would have options for the 160gb hard drived for the iTouch (and, later for me at least, the iPhone). i know being in high-school makes me "too young" to really voice my opinion, but little memory is my biggest complaint on all of the new iPods (excluding the "classic").

21. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

I could live with a terabyte of storage in my pocket.
    I mean, unless you carry around every TV show and Movie in existence, it'll be nye impossible to practically fill an iPod of that caliber.

22. penguinpaul macrumors member

penguinpaul

I hope it doesn't cos I'm only in yr 10 and I would like to voice my opinions :)
    YR10 (UK) is age 14/15

23. duraace macrumors member

I just love my 16 gig Touch. When married with EyeTV into my iMac, I can record TV shows and have them automatically exported to iTunes for syncing with the Touch. I schedule BBC News, so I can take the Touch to Starbucks, sit and watch the news while having a cup of Java. It's so easy.

24. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

That does sound very cool! I've got a Tivo at home, but I wouldn't mind being able to take a couple 30 minute shows with me to keep up on things (news is perfect). Perhaps I'll have to look into doing this once I get a Touch. I'm *trying* to hold-out as I know the 16GB will be settling for less than I want, but the Touch has been on my mind non-stop since I played with it the other day.

Mike