Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Curious if anyone with a new iPhone 6 or 6+ miss, for whatever reason, their older iPhone5S (or, any other model).
If so, what is it you miss and would you undo your current deal with your new iPhone if you could?

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I had a ghost line ready for an upgrade and decided against it as I like the design of my 5s too much. The smaller size really appeals to me as it's much more comfortable to use a smartphone one-handed.

I'll simply keep it on iOS 7 so it runs as fast as the day I bought it and get a battery replacement down the line if needed a few years from now so it's fresh. Besides, yearly updates of any iPhone are simply incremental changes. If you want to really be blown away simply keep your phone for a few years (2-4) and then upgrade.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
I'll simply keep it on iOS 7 so it runs as fast as the day I bought it and get a battery replacement down the line if needed a few years from now so it's fresh.

Recently did a complete fresh install of iOS 8 on the 5s. Runs great. Don't do an OTA update, do it clean through iTunes and select set up as new phone.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Recently did a complete fresh install of iOS 8 on the 5s. Runs great. Don't do an OTA update, do it clean through iTunes and select set up as new phone.

Thanks for the heads up :)

I'll have to check out the iOS 8 section a little more. I'm pretty sure though I won't upgrade to iOS 8 though as I almost always make it a personal rule to stay on the OS my gadgets come with unless it is advertised by the manufacturer that the new update really improves battery life on older hardware (such as OSX Mavericks). I've had a 4s ruined in the past little by little by updating the OS when I should have simply kept it on iOS 5 and blazing fast.

ELPresidente720

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Not at all. Liked my 5S a lot, but the 6 is better in every way. Not much to miss minus the slightly more convenient form factor.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
I wish iphone 6 a little bit shorter than what currently is, and wish it has the same weight as the iphone 5s. Other than that im impressed and will not miss my 5s. But please apple fix this wifi internet dropping connection issue.

Kealohilani

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Not at all. In fact I picked my 5s up yesterday to get it ready to sell and it felt really strange. It was too small and I never knew it. I loved it before last Friday but I could never go back to it now.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Not precisely...see my 6+ is one of those stuck in AT&T preorder purgatory. But what's been happening is I've become much more aware of how much the 5s is always with me, and on me vs. tucked away in a purse. I've taken it for granted a lot the past year, mainly because I honestly disliked it after giving up the even more comfortably pocketable 4s. Now...I'm about to give up all hope of pocket-ability and move to an entirely different paradigm. I kind of need to. I'm 48 and my vision isn't getting any better and so I am going to appreciate the larger screen for GPS navigation and texting and emails.

So anyway I've come to a better appreciation of my 5s after a year of grudging acceptance. Come what may with the 6+, I do know I'll miss the 5s, just like I still miss my 4s. If money weren't a factor, I'd keep the 5s running, too. But there can be only one.

Merkyworks

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Got a 6 had a 5s and I am loving my 6. With that said I held my 5s the other day and it does feel so small and super easy to put in any pocket. If I used my iPhone more for actual talking and just texting I might stay with the 5s. However I rarely make actual phone calls on my iPhone, its mainly web browsing, emails and other activities where larger screen viewing is more enjoyable.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Nope. I enjoying bigger size with the 6. I think this is a decent size to have. I'm getting used to it, just like with all new things. But I'm certainly not thinking to go back to the 5/5S.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
The 5S no, the Lumina 930…hmmm…. the 5S just feels too small.

FrozenInferno

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2013
I had a ghost line ready for an upgrade and decided against it as I like the design of my 5s too much. The smaller size really appeals to me as it's much more comfortable to use a smartphone one-handed.

I'll simply keep it on iOS 7 so it runs as fast as the day I bought it and get a battery replacement down the line if needed a few years from now so it's fresh. Besides, yearly updates of any iPhone are simply incremental changes. If you want to really be blown away simply keep your phone for a few years (2-4) and then upgrade.

I updated my 5S to iOS 8 over-the-air and its running just as good if not better than it did on iOS 7, with no hit to my battery life whatsoever. I know everyone's experience varies but it's very possible your 5S could run just as well. I was worried about the update too but now it's a great phone made even better. Not sure I'm going to upgrade when my contract is up either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.