I know this is wrong but I have a PC question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cheekybobcat, Apr 8, 2008.

1. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I know that this is the completely wrong forum to ask this on but I always get the best response from here and normally quick ones. So if anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hey. i want to know if I can run this this sony vaio PCV-W 510G [​IMG] off of this HP pavilion a450n [​IMG].

If I can, can someone tell me how because the sony vaio is messed up but I like the look of it and want to keep it.
    Also, if it cannot be done, how do I do a system restart or reset computer to factory defaults? ( I cannot even start up the computer pas the Intel screen, it says "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:<windows root>\system32\hal.dll. please re-install a copy of the above file" I dont have the install discs...

I just want to use the sonys screen and keyboard but the sony doesnt have tv out or in input...

I hate myself for posting that but I can't afford a new PC right now and I need it for work...

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Try holding down control or tapping F8 during startup to get to a menu where you can select "Last Known Good Configuration".

Or, try finding a hal.dll and using the command prompt to copy a good hal.dll over the bad one.

3. cheekybobcat thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

Ok. Thanks. I'm guessing there is no way to use the vaio as a montior and keyboard then?

Edit: When I did the "last know good configuration" I got the same error message. Any other advice?